Chapter 8: The X

"This is the best hotdog stand in the city." Said Eric Krieger after ordering four hotdogs with everything on them.

Two red plastic baskets are slid across a white linoleum bar. The bar separates the long slim kitchen from the equally thin dining area. Tubular, Foam-cushion blue-top steal stools are bolted to the floor, and a long white tiled floor connects to two doors at either end of the establishment. Long ago, the place used to be a trailer, but a larger building has taken its place, although the dimensions of the joint have hardly changed.

"Thanks!" Said Eric to the waitress as he handed Tammy a basket with two hotdogs. The red baskets are filled with french fries, lightly salted.

Tammy sips from the red plastic straw, and the sweet cool flavor of dark carbonated cola dazzles her taste buds.

"Mmmm," said Tammy as the two left the hotdog joint for the park just behind the parking lot. They find a picnic bench and chow down.

"What a beautiful day." Said Tammy while looking at the sun glistening off the waves of Lake Michigan. Her large dark sunglasses reflect what she's looking at.

"This is one of the oldest parks in the City of Chicago." Said Eric. "I think the planetarium was just over there."

"So, how did you find this place?"

"It wasn't hard; everyone knows about the lakefront. But the hotdog stand reminded me of the kinds of places you used to love. So I tried it out, and thought I should bring you here."

She takes a bite.

"This is delicious, and the fries are perfect." A pool of thick red ketchup sits inside a small pleated white paper cup.

"So, you like it?" Said Eric.

"Of course. So, what's the real reason for bringing me out here?"

"I just wanna talk: and to tell you the truth."

"The truth? I don't believe you."

"I haven't even started yet."

"How can I believe you when your lips are moving."

"Ok. I'll write it down on a napkin... Where's a napkin?"

"Don't be cute!"

"Then let me talk, and then you can make up your dam mind."

"I'm warning you!"

"Right." He takes a second to think. "Your father wants us to get married."

"Yeah, I bet he does!"

"Now, don't jump the gun! Give me a second to elaborate."

"Go on."

"At first, his suggestion kind of angered me."

"What!"

"Because I was going to see you anyway."

"You were, why?"

"Because I missed you."

"Yeah, right."

"It's true. There I was one night with two of the most beautiful...

"Two! He says. And yet I'm not impressed."

"I'm not trying to impress you, I'm just saying."

"What are you saying? You were with two other girls, and then you thought of me. This is a very odd way to try to begin a romance, you know."

"Look, I'm just trying to tell you the moment I understood what you understand. That all our emotions are geared to compel us to want to be with each other. That the chemicals in our brain are artificially produced for a purpose, not of our own making. Our parents have been very manipulative. But about a month after, I began to realize."

"What did you realize?"

"That it's not the circumstances that mattered, but the result. Who cares if the feelings we feel are real or not, just so long as we're happy."

"Even though our emotions are artificial?"

"Look, most marriages end with both parties hating each other. But me and you, we don't have to worry about that; it's been decided for us."

"True, but is happiness the end goal of marriage?"

"What are you talking about?"

"If being happy was all there was to being married, and if most people who are married - are not, then happiness can't be the true good."

"I don't understand."

"There must be something more."

"Like what?"

"I don't know, maybe love and children?"

"Isn't love and happiness the same thing?"

"That's not always what I've experienced."

"Wait a second. Is there someone you have in mind?"

"None of your business!"

"Ha, never mind, I think I can guess."

"I think you can guess too."

"Even still, what's the difference between the natural and man-made? Our looks have been manufactured, true, but the attention we get is based upon natural causes predetermined by evolution over the course of millions of years. So, what's wrong with exploiting nature when it makes life so much easier."

"Nothing. Except when the goal of such ends is subversive to humankind's freedom to choose. In such cases, ease is not happiness but a cage disguised as progress."

"But I like you nonetheless; that must count for something."

"It does! But as you can see, my affection is held elsewhere."

"So, I don't stand a chance?"

"You do, although it's somewhat diminished."

"Well, some hope is better than none; come on, I'll take you home."

They walk back to the parking lot and get into a convertible hover car. The craft quickly finds Lakeshore Drive, and they cruise North with the lake to their right and tall buildings to their left.

Tammy watches a crowd of people walk, bike, and jog down the bike path hugging the beach. Small sailboats glide across the dark gray water. A strong desire to ask Eric to go sailing suddenly strikes her. She holds back the urge with the thought that someday James might take her.

"Yes." She whispers as the wind blows back her hair and obscures her words.

"What?" Asks Eric,

"Nothing." She said. And smiles.

"One last thing."

"What's that."

"I just want you to know that the reason I'm being so straight with you is because your smart, and you'll probably figure it out anyway. But don't marry George Ferrel! Yeah, your father approached me, and yes, he really wants us to get married instead of you and George. But just know this, I really like you. I'm pretty sure it's real, but under the circumstances, who knows? I know how funny that sounds, but when it comes down to it, It'll break my heart to see you with anyone else than me. And that's as honest as I can be. Ok?"

"Yeah, Ok."

"You'll think about it?"

"Sure."

"You mean it."

"Yeah."