Chapter 20: Sailing

Just off the shores of Lake Michigan, cruises a small white sailing boat. Thanks to climate change, the temperature is just above seventy-seven degrees and has been for the month of February. A light breeze pushes the craft forward until a command is given to bring the canvas down and way the anchor. A woman goes below deck to change into her swimsuit, and a man takes the wheel and ties it down. He then grabs a blanket and spreads it on the forecastle. The woman emerges and lays down next to him.

"Blue skies and fluffy white clouds," says Tammy with her dark sunglasses on, "couldn't you just stay out here all day."

James Newman, who's reclining next to her, looks around and says:

"Mum-hum, yeah."

"I wonder, now that I'm among the frightfully poor, will you still do whatever I ask?"

"Isn't it obvious? I like the water as much as a cat... Lotion?"

"Yes, please." She slathers her white skin with liberal amounts of sun-blocking cream.

"You are beautiful." Said James as he watched her apply the lotion.

"You want some?" said Tammy and handed him the bottle.

James, who's dressed in white summer pants and shirt, with canvas boat shoes, said:

"You know I do, but from this moment on, I shall abstain from the pleasure until you say that one little word."

"What word?"

"Yes!"

"James, you are the nicest guy I've ever met. -- And don't give me that look!" She props herself up on her elbow to look at him. "You're honorable, patient, and good. But I can't marry you, and I think you know why."

"It's because I'll do whatever you ask."

"Exact -- What?"

"It's what you asked, that one night on the town... After the wedding."

"You mean that night back when we visited the cathedral?"

"Yeah, you asked why you loved me. And I said...

"Two trillion."

"Yes, but we both know that's not true." Said James.

"But I don't love you because you do what I say." Said Tammy.

"I know, but it's how you know I love you."

"You love me?"

"Unbelievable - but true."

"Really? When did this happen?"

"I guess I've always loved you. But for some reason, you've got it in your head that I must feel exactly as you, when you do, all the time. And I think I do on some levels, but not so much on others. It just took me a while to figure it out."

"Wait, my head is spinning."

"Look, I'm learning that love is pleasure and pain, giving and taking. And for the most part, love seems to be in the will. But I'm not saying that I'm forcing myself to love you. I just do. And I'm willing to do whatever it takes to be with you for the rest of our lives! Through heartache and joy, the good and the bad, I want to be with you. And If that's not love, then what is?"

"Blah, blah, blah... You love me."

"YES!"

"Well, why didn't you say so before!?"

"Say what before?"

"Why didn't you say that you loved me!"

"I just told you. And I asked you to marry me many times before."

"Asking isn't the same as telling!"

"Now my head is spinning."

"Good!"

"Look. I love you. I'm crazy about you. So, for the love of God, will you marry me!"

"Get on one knee."

"Ok. Stand over there like a statue." Said James.

Tammy stands at the edge of the forecastle. With her back to the railing, she holds herself up in the corner with both hands.

"Tammera Lynn McMath," said James on one knee. "Will you marry me?"

"Yes."

He gets up and kisses her.

"Well, that was easy." Said Tammy.

"Maybe for you, but now comes the hard part."

"What's that?"

"What do we do now? You've got your job, and I work miles underground."

"Oh, James, now we begin the negotiations."

"I love you."

"I knew you were gonna say that."

"OK, so let's begin. If you're willing to give up your job, I'll give up my life underground."

"Really? You'll stop working for my father! Give up years of research. ...for me?"

"Yup."

"I don't believe it."

"Believe it. We can't raise a family underground, and you'd be miserable. And I really want to make you happy."

"You wanna have kids?!"

"Yeah, don't you?"

"YES!"

"Good. Problem solved. Now you're turn, what else."

"If I quit my job, I'm gonna need a new one. I can't go back to being useless."

"You were never useless. But how about you come to work for me? Be my personal organizer until you become a mommy. And I'll always need someone I can bounce ideas off of. I'll even pay you If you like. To be my organizer, not to be a mommy... That sounds wrong somehow."

"Ok, but what are we gonna do, make toys?"

"Yeah! You object?"

"No, being a toy maker sounds wonderful. But I don't want to be wealthy anymore. I believe having lots of money amplified my problems. I want to live in an average house and raise lots of kids."

"I'm not rich. Not yet, anyway. I won't be coming into my inheritance until my father passes, which we hope won't be for a long, long time. But let's make a compromise: if I promise not to live rich, then you allow me my fortune. I'm gonna need a lot of money for what I want to do."

"We need lots of money to make toys?"

"A little. But what I really want us to do is make an interstellar space drive. And I'm gonna need your help."

"Me?! I don't know the first thing about time dilation or hyperspace."

"Tammera, you're a freakin genius... we can learn together. And we're not going to invent a hyperdrive. We're going to build a space-time machine. A way to travel faster than light without the whole everyone is dead and buried in the past when the traveler comes back home, kind of thing. Come on. It'll be fun!"

"If you say so."

"Please, Tammy. Be my helper/co-inventor. We'll make toys, buy a farmhouse, live on a big plot of land, raise lots of children, and help mankind travel amongst the stars."

"Well... when you put it that way," said Tammy and smiled.

"GREAT! I'm so happy. I can't wait to get started!"

"Then let's start now."

She kisses him, and they head back to a dock in the city of Chicago."