Chapter 3: Return

Sunny's eye slowly opened as he raised his head slightly. He had forgotten he slept at his desk. He looked over at his bed, blinking slowly. The blankets were folded over and nobody laid there. He groaned as he sat up.

Did.. What.. Last night..?

He yawned, then spotted one of the scented candles on the floor by the bed. His eye widened, his mouth opening slightly in awe. What he did yesterday actually happened.

Sunny rushed out of his room in search of Mari. He could hear his mother downstairs in the kitchen. He couldn't let her find out about this. What would he say? What would he even do?? Behind the bathroom door he heard someone chattering quietly. It sounded like Mari. He knocked on the door, and she opened it.

"Oh hi. Um. Sunny. Your cat followed me into the bathroom. It's very cute." Mari smiled, Mewo rubbing up against her. Mewo recognized her...

"You can't be out of my room right now." Sunny whispered with slight irritation.

"Why? If you said I'm your sister isn't this my house too?"

"But I brought you back from the dead-"

"From the dead?"

Sunny looked down sadly.

"Oh... hmm.." Mari returned to Sunny's room and sat on his bed. "That would explain the candles. And why I just, suddenly exist." She looked at her hands "I'm so pale, hehe."

Sunny sighed, picking up Mewo as he closed the door behind him. Mewo rested her head by his chest, gently waving her black, fluffy tail around his arms. Staring at Mewo, Sunny felt a pit in his stomach. He still couldn't believe Mari was here. Right in front of him. But she did still look a little dead despite being brought back to life. And there was a bruise.... around her neck. His heart ached once he noticed it.

"So, um, what do you do around here?" Mari looked around. "Not much from what I see."

"W-Well once mom leaves for work we can explore the house. Maybe you'll remember a bit by doing that."

"Remember what?"

"Me? Your friends? Your boyfriend?"

"I have a boyfriend?"

"He... was so sad after what happened.."

"Is he cute..?" Mari smirked. Despite having little memory she still had some smugness to her. It was a little scary.

Sunny chuckled nervously with a shrug. He thought for a moment. Mari hadn't aged physically, but was technically four years older despite having died. How was... That wasn't important right now.

"Sunny! I'm leaving the house! I left some tea for you. Bye!" Sunny's mom called out before closing the front door. Once she stepped out she noticed muddy footprints on the path to the house. She tried to think nothing of it and went to her car.

"Your mom is gone, can I leave?"

"Our mom is gone, but yeah."

"Mom is a funny word. It's only three letters." Mari giggled as she stood up.

Sunny laughed nervously as he opened the door, watching Mari walk out, Mewo following closely behind her.

So is the word 'cat'.

She got closer to the stairs and looked down. For a moment she seemed a bit afraid. Sunny just wanted her to go down the stairs already. She did slowly, taking one step at a time with her bare feet until she was at the bottom. Sunny then walked down, and Mari headed into the piano room. Oh jeez..