Chapter 8: Baby steps

TW: Self harm, stabbing, description of death

Sunny sat up and looked at his mother hugging Mari. He somehow didn't get too upset. He was used to being second place. Even when Mari was gone. He was bitter, but didn't show it. He looked at his friends and nodded for the door. It was a polite way to tell them they should probably go without having to speak. And so his friends did leave. Aubrey said she would drop the clothes off the day after and closed the door, leaving Sunny sitting on the carpet and his mother crying about her daughter. He simply stood up and walked upstairs, his mother not seeming to notice or care. But Mari did. She gently pulled away from her mother and looked at Sunny.

"Sunny.. I know what's going through your head right now."

Sunny couldn't help but actually feel angry about what she said. Did she really know what was going on in his head? Did she even realize how painful it had been for him when she was still alive, being compared to his gifted sister and being cast aside even when he was successful? The whole reason he threw his violin was because he was frustrated. He was upset that he wasn't as good as his big sister. He was upset that he wasn't good enough for anyone else. And Mari yelling at him didn't help. And in that moment, he looked at her, glaring with a frown, his eye dull.

"No you dont. You never did. You never will."

Sunny turned around and walked upstairs to his room. Mari called out to him, but sighed.

"Oh just don't bother him, he's being emotional. I'm honestly kind of sick of it." Her mother said quietly, chuckling a bit. But Mari didn't laugh.

"How can you be like this? What happened when I was gone?"

"Uh he got into a fight with a friend of his, went to the hospital and almost killed himself. I mean, sure I would have gotten upset, but dealing with him the past four years has been a burden, really." She stood up with a sigh.

"Mom. What- Why?"

"I'm just so glad you're back honey.." Her mother slowly walked forward. Mari moved away from her.

"No. How could you even say that? What did he ever do?"

Her mother started to laugh. "Don't you remember what happened the day of the recital?"

"I was told I was in a car crash."

"A car crash?!" She cackled. "No, you and Sunny were fighting and he-."

"ENOUGH!" Sunny yelled, his voice cracking. He rarely raised his voice. He stood in the doorway. He heard everything on the steps. "I'm just so sick of this. I'm sick of you. I thought that I could make things better and I thought we were finally connecting again and becoming close but as soon as I bring my sister back you just admit to actually pretending to care for me for the past week? Pretending that you would be devastated if I died? Those were your words. Because I almost did. Not only because of the injury, but because I felt so guilty and horrible about what I did, I almost fell off of a building. ON PURPOSE. And you wanna know who came to me first? Hero. Hero. One of my best friends. And you were in the hospital. I knew you were. I was told you were. But you didn't seem to care that I was about to kill myself. Because I was never as good as Mari. And I never will be. This is exactly why I didn't want you to find out about Mari being back. Because I'm so SICK of this. I-I'm so tired of feeling... worthless. I..." Sunny croaked and fell onto his knees, sobbing.

He heard Mari arguing with her mother, asking questions to know why she was treating him this way? She already didn't care for him when she was alive, but the fact he was driven to the point of suicide and she never helped him? She pretended to care for him? Just so things were easier on her part? Mari was furious, even if she didn't know what exactly Sunny was guilty about. He could hear his mother trying to console him and apologize but her words meant nothing to him. As soon as he felt her put a hand on his shoulder, he flinched and pulled something out of his pocket.