Chapter 28: Discharge

The days went by quicker than Sunny thought. He was never able to call anyone at home due to his 'misbehavior'. For simply wanting to sleep and not knowing the rules? It was finally time for Sunny to be released. Despite the kindness of most of the fellow patients, aside from Lacey, who was on lockdown, he wasn't really going to miss being there. He wanted to finally celebrate Thanksgiving with his friends.

His family.

Mari had told him she and Hero would pick him up, so he was confused when he saw Aubrey and Basil standing outside of his mother's car. Sunny furrowed his eyes in confusion. Why... did they look upset? As he got closer, Basil forced a smile.

"What... is going on..?" Sunny mumbled.

Basil's smile faded. He was really hoping Sunny wouldn't ask that question. He glanced at Aubrey, who looked like a mess. She hadn't put her contacts in or brushed her hair. Her eyes were puffy from tears and the remnants of her eyeliner from days before was smudged.

"Sunny... um..." Basil sighed. "Mari and Hero... they're missing."

Sunny's eye widened. He stared at his friend in disbelief, shaking his head.

"Mari was over at Kel and Hero's house while their parents weren't home.. and... when she left... Hero saw that woman from before try to hurt her.. H-He got knocked out and she took the both of them... I..." Basil had tears in his eyes, sniffling. "Thats when Kel told us what happened... he tried to stop the woman but... she didn't try to hurt him..."

"I fucking hate that red haired little bitch." Aubrey spat angrily.

Sunny felt numb. Why was Francine trying to take Mari away? Why did she take Hero with her?

None of them knew.

...

"So you're telling me this woman is your ex from COLLEGE?" Aubrey stared at Sunny's mother in disbelief, Ayaka nodding.

"We both used to help people out like this but... we started to fight. I wanted to do other things but... she didn't like that very much, heh."

"Mom are you bi?" Sunny blurted out.

Sunny's mother tried her hardest not to laugh. "Yes. How is that important?"

"I'm bi."

"Mari's bi too." Basil added.

"Damn it runs in the family." Aubrey jokingly scoffed, the others chuckling slightly.

That positive moment didn't last long. They were back to wondering what to do.

"Didn't you guys call the police?" Sunny said softly.

"Yes but uh..." Basil laughed nervously. "They thought it was a joke. Twice."

"...why?"

"They didn't buy that a random woman tried kidnapping two random people in broad daylight. I... really don't get it either. It's suspicious..."

"Wait what about Thanksgiving??"

"It's... postponed..." Basil sighed.

"I'm gonna find that bitch and pound her face in the-." Aubrey started, cracking her knuckles.

"Aubrey, there's no need for that." Ayaka smiled. "We can use a shovel instead."

"Hell yeah!!!!" Aubrey cheered, Basil and Sunny staring at the two of them in confusion.

"We cant just beat her up. Ms. Zhao you're an adult, why would you even..." Basil twisted his sideburns nervously.

"I may be an adult, but I suck at being a good one. I also suck as a mother but... now I know that what I've been doing all these years is unfair and cruel... I don't even know how you can still stand me, Sunny.."