Chapter 43: Air and Lightning; Vah Medoh

"Riju!” Merona smiled as she felt happiness and relief fill her for the first time in weeks upon seeing her wife safe. She rushed past Purah to our group, and immediately threw her arms around the Gerudo Chief once she was close enough. Riju smiled and let herself fall into Merona’s arms, finally letting exhaustion take hold of her.  

“Merona! I’m so sorry if I worried you,” She breathed, placing one of her hands on the vai’s shoulder when she pulled away. Merona chuckled softly and kissed her forehead. “I’m glad you were all able to make it in time.”  

“I’m sorry it took us so long.” Merona sighed, cupping Riju’s face in her hands. She glanced at my father and I, and then her eyes wandered to Urbosa and went wide when they landed on her. “L-Lady Urbosa.” She quickly bowed, and the champion bowed her head slightly, a slight smile coming to her blue lips. “Riju, I...”  

“She’s here to help.” Riju told her, and then she looked back at us. “So, we still have to board Vah Medoh. I think I know the way.” Riju turned around and went back into her Divine Beast, Merona and Urbosa following close behind. After a moment, a loud shock could be heard with a rumble to the ground, and we watched lightning strike the rock at the top of the mountain Vah Medoh was circling, causing an updraft of wind to rush free.  

“Azu!” We heard Ellet call as the Sheikah boy leaped from the head of the Divine Beast and fell right beside him; his legs wobbly and breath short and ragged. “Are you alright? Maybe you should rest for a bit.”  

“No,” Azu managed to huff, holding his head as he extended his arm out to his left. “I think I... I can make it...” He placed his fingers against each other, rubbing them gently together.  

“I’m worried about you, Azu.” Ellet said, but before he could say anything else, Azu snapped his fingers, sending a shock down to the bokoblins that were running towards them. My father gasped and drew his sword, but quickly realized Azu’s attack had taken all of the nearby ones out. “Please.”  

“We gotta keep going. I’m not failing here.” Azu started walking in the direction we came from, and I hurried down the slope to follow him, and my father turned back to the chiefs that walked out of the Divine Beast.  

“Urbosa, you’re coming with us. Merona, stay here with Riju. We’ll be back with Teba and,” He looked up to Urbosa. “And Revali. Soon.” She nodded and followed my father down to where Ellet and Purah were, and Riju and Merona went back in the Divine Beast to wait for us.  

The six of us rushed down the damp path towards the mountain that would bring us to our final Divine Beast, battling any monsters on our way. With the help of the Rito warriors that fought alongside us, of course.  

We were informed of more powerful monsters that would be troubling our path ahead, and not only ours, but of the other warriors that were helping us reach their champion. But we tried to only focus on the ones that bothered us now. Worrying about what was to come would only make our strength falter when we needed it.  

Eventually, we reached close to the end of a path where there would supposedly be Rito captains that could assist us, and since there weren’t as monsters in this area, I got a chance to notice that Azu was barely managing to stand on his feet never mind fight of a horde of little beasts. I caught up with him and walked by his side.  

“Azu, are you sure that you’re-”  

“Yes.” He cut me off, obviously trying to speed up a bit down the trail to avoid me talking to him. “I don’t know why you all are so worried about me, I’m fine. You know, it kind of sounds like you’re doubting me.”