Chapter 28: Traveling Together | Pt 2

I whistled to myself as I strolled through a forest nearing the edge of Hyrule Field, staring up at the night sky that domed over Hyrule. This would normally be a time of peace and quiet I could find enjoyable. But my heart was still aching for Zelda and my mind was filled primarily with worry for Idalia.

I was worried the Yiga Clan would find Idalia and capture her and Ellet. Elric had already managed to corrupt her Triforce, all the clan would have to do is find out how to force it to activate and we'd be doomed. Fortunately, it was corrupted to a point where it's become difficult for her to awaken.

Because who knows what Elric could do if he had a Black Triforce to aid him.

"Hey Link," I looked to my right, and I saw _____ upsidedown in a tree, legs holding her over a branch. The pure exhaustion and hunger of walking so long must've been finally getting to me if I was hallucinating this bad. "How's this apple look?" She asked, holding one out to me, and I walked over to her and examined the fruit.

"It looks good to me." I shrugged, and she smiled and took a bite out of it. She seemed happy despite the events that were going on. So calm and collected, just as I remembered her. "You know, you've missed a lot since you've been gone."

"I know." She said, letting herself fall out of the tree and quickly flip to get her feet back underneath her. "Tell me about it."

"Well, I guess you were always right. I did marry Zelda, and we have the most wonderful daughter, Idalia. I know you'd love her." I leaned back against the tree, staring at the castle still surrounded by Elric's magic and the Triforce bubble. "But... we're having to deal with Ganon again."

"I see." She hummed, only looking at me as I still stared out at Hyrule Castle. I glanced back at her, and she tilted her head at me.

"Idalia's unable to awaken the Triforce, but we hope this won't take the power away for the next generations. I'm scared for the future. The near and the far." Suddenly, she started walking away, making me move away from the tree and follow her.

"You should have no reason to worry. You and Zelda are capable of so much. Even as teenagers, you stopped the Calamity twenty years ago. You can do it again." She told me as we continued to walk through the small forest.

"But we had you there to help us. You and the Champions and King Rhoam. We could look to you for what to do. But now..." I sighed as I look at the symbol on the back of her champion cloak. "We're the ones who are looked up to."

"I was in your position once," She spoke softer now, slowly her steps as we reached some larger trees at the end of the path leading us through the forest. "In a time now past. But you're better than us, Link. Both of you."

"But-" She shook a tree, and a ton of apples fell out. She studied each of them before stuffing them into her backpack. I watched as she zipped it up after filling it to the brim with the fruit, and then she kept walking. "_____,"

She stopped walking but didn't turn her head to look at me.

"I miss you."

She was quiet for a moment. But then she kept walking towards the canyon entrance, and I hopped to stay right behind her.

"We should probably stop around here to sleep." She stopped in a grassy area near a large tree and set down her bag, and I set down mine and pulled out a blanket before spreading it out so I could lay on it. She sat by the tree and leaned her back against it.

I stared up at the sky, watching the moon slowly make it's course over Hyrule, passing by the many stars sprinkled across the indigo infinity overhead. I rested my hands behind my head as I released a deep breath, and I heard _____ do the same.

"Link..."

"Zelda..." I knew I heard her voice. Calling out for me to get her out of this. To protect her. A promise I made to her not once, but twice now. And I promise I made to someone else as well.

"Are you alright?" I heard _____ say, or well, this illusion my mind was seeing of her, and I let my head fall to its side so I could see her better.

"You aren't really with me right now. I know that." I said, and she tilted her head. "What this is for me... it's a reminder of a time I couldn't save everybody, despite my efforts. It's telling me that to save everyone now, I need to work even harder."

"Of course I'm really with you now, Link," She said, reaching out for my hand. "I'm right here-"

"No." I pulled my hand away before she could touch it. "I'm going to keep my promise to you. I'm going to protect Zelda and Idalia. I'm going to save Hyrule from Ganon and I'm not going to let anyone else pay for my failures."

I looked back up at the sky, the moon now hitting the very center of it. It's peak of the night.

"I won't rest until Elric and Ganon fall. Until the Yiga Clan falls. Until I know we'll never have to face a time like this again." I rested my eyes, feeling the exhaustion of a busy week begin to settle in with me. "I just... feel it's my job to save this kingdom and to avenge you and everyone else who lost their lives because of him."

I felt myself begin to drift into sleep, and I began to feel alone as everything settled into darkness.

"I'm sorry, _____..."

~~~~

My eyes opened to see the sky becoming blue, and I let myself wake up before I remembered the previous night. It felt only as if I had blinked and it went from night to day, but also as if it had been a century.

I sat up and looked around. _____ wasn't there anymore, and the bag she had put the apples in was now empty. I sighed and got myself packed up, ready to head into the desert to get rid of the threat of the clan. Hoping it would make defeating Ganon a bit easier.

I also hoped I would be able to stop and get a bite food from the Gerudo Canyon Stable. Doing all this walking and worrying really worked up an appetite. If I wanted to keep my traveling and fighting strength up, I'd need to comply to my basic needs. I've already slept, I've been drinking plenty of water.

I wondered if Idalia and Ellet were making sure to stop and eat and rest. They did perfectly fine for the first couple days without me, so I hoped the situation would stay the same. I also hoped Azu was doing alright. Making sure to take care of himself in and out of that trial.

"Link..."

I heard her voice again. Ringing in my ears accompanied it, and I developed a headache that paired with the hunger, made me want to pass out. But I had to keep going. I had to keep going if I wanted all of this to be over anytime soon.

"I'm coming, Zelda," I whispered, turning back to look at the ruins and chaos that our castle was in. Just days ago it was at it's full glory, the entire kingdom was. And now, once again, we're struck by the monsters and evils we were just years ago. "I promise."

_________________

Angst and trauma remembrance! Reader's best friend, right?