3 // Cam the Hero

Cameron stood at the gate, contemplating if she was going to ring the buzzard. She had half of mind to turn around. It was slightly chilly out but, that wasn't stopping her from standing in the cold.

What am I doing at this man's house after 10 PM?

The sensors at the gate let Klay know that someone was out there, but he was too busy reading a book to look at the cameras.

Cameron got back in her car to think this whole thing over, again.

I hope he doesn't think he's getting any.

Why would he think that Cameron?

Her internal battle was interrupted by whimpering. Cameron could've been hearing things but she went back to her phone to turn her music off completely. The whimpering happened again, but louder.

Getting out of the car, she followed the noise to see a cute lil dog stuck by the far side of the gate.

"Cutie, how did you get out here?" She tried removing the dog's collar but it was stuck.

Thinking fast, she runs to the trunk of the car, finding pliers. She cut the pup out of his collar, all she needed to do was get inside of the gate. She couldn't leave him there.

"Klay, open the gate!" She yelled pressing the button repeatedly.

"You okay? Why you sound distraught?"

"Rocco is out here, stuck in the gate. I cut his collar but—"

Before she could finish the statement, the gate opened and she rushed to the dog. "Hey buddy, I'm the nice lady that's gonna help you." The dog was heavier than she expected but she wouldn't be holding him long.

Klay scooped Rocco out of her hands, going to her car. She ran after them, getting into the driver seat.

••••

This was not Cameron's idea of a Friday night out but, she couldn't say it was a completely terrible set up.

Waiting room while Klay tended to Rocco with his doctors, she heard a door open. Cameron looked up to see him talking to one of the veterinarians.

When he took Rocco from her, she hadn't noticed what he was wearing at all, it being dark out. But now, she could see the black v-neck, grey Warriors sweat pants and Nike slides on full display.

"How is he?" She asked as he sat next to her. "He's gonna be okay. You honestly saved him."

"I did?"

"Yeah, he wasn't hurt too bad, but he couldn't breathe and was panicking at that gate. I wouldn't have known if you didn't tell me. I don't even know how he got out, so thank you."

"Oh, umm— you're welcome. It was no problem."

"Mr. Thompson, Rocco is ready to go home." Dr. Preston announced.

Rocco slowly walked out the examination room. When he saw Klay and Cameron, he ran to them jumping on Cameron.

Klay looked at them and smiled, "I think you just gained a fan."

Cameron didn't pay him any mind as she played with Rocco's ears, "Hey buddy, you feeling okay?"

Rocco began nuzzling her hands, before climbing into her lap.