17 // Houston...

Although early January, there was an odd humidity in the air at the Houston International Airport. Cameron did not want to miss her chance to see Ms. Sheila before her own vacation. There was a mini Carmichael reunion in South Dakota. Random place for sure but, Sheila's excitement rubbed off on Cameron.

"Ladies, right this way." A young driver, around their age greeted. "Thank you Marco."

"Thank you" Cameron smiled as he took her bags.

The drive to their hotel was less than ten minutes. Cameron had stayed in fancy places before, but this hotel definitely reigned supreme over most. As Delia checked them in, Cameron stood off to the side.

"Excuse me." Cameron turned to see who she recognized as Andre. "Hey, what's up?"

From just looking at him, she could tell that something was off. "Hey Cameron. Have you seen Klay?"

"I just arrived actually. But, I could call him if you want." She offered. Andre didn't answer, so she assumed it was okay to call. She waited and waited until her call rang out. The voicemail option was the only thing available.

"Sorry, he didn't answer."

"Uh, that's okay. If you see him, have him come to my room. I can't find my phone." Cameron absorbed the information, watching him walk away. Delia soon walked over with their room keys. "Here's one for you, and here's one for me."

"Hey, do you know where the guys are?"

"They should be at practice honestly. Why?"

"Figures. Klay didn't answer when I called." The walked to the elevator, calling for the boxed transportation to meet them at the lobby. "They should be out in an hour or two."

"I'm not asking for me. Honestly, it was for Andre." Delia looked around not noticing one of the long standing male figures in her life. "Where'd he go?"

"I don't know. He mentioned that he lost his phone and asked me if I had seen Klay."

"Him and that Klay." Delia shook her head. "What's up with that?" As the elevator doors opened, they watched as a group of people stepped out.

"They've got a strong relationship. When Iggy gets in his moods, he only listen's to Klay or Steph, sometimes Dray. Because they both have wives and children, they're not as accessible, but Klay is. That's part of the reason we want Klay to start a life. He's too available and should be focusing on himself, not fixing whatever Iggy has going on."

••••

When they arrived to their room, Cameron couldn't wait to lay in bed. The California King could hold a team on it, a basketball team.

"Move over, I wanna get comfortable too!" Jordan yelled as Delia took up a whole space that could fit the both of them. Practice had ended and instead of being a normal group of people and taking naps, the oversized kids they were decided to have a movie night, in Delia and Cam's room. Cameron propped herself against the headboard with Hazel's head in her lap. Ayesha laid at the bottom of the bed as Steph sat on the floor in front of her, enjoying the scalp massage.

"You're such a brat, here. Lay down." Delia moved over so that Jordan could climb in bed to lay near her. "Thank you for being so kind. Sharing is caring. Ain't that what y'all say to the kids?"

"Shut up Jordan" they laughed in unison. The group were currently watching an old Mike Epps special, but would soon be turning it off to watch Hazel's movie together.

"How long you been acting?" Cameron asked grabbing a handful of raisanettes. "For years, it just never got off the ground much. I've been in a few things, now I've finally got a chance to get into something for me. I hope y'all like it."

"What's taking everyone so damn long?" Delia looked at her phone, Wiggins and Klay were with Christina and Iggy.

"Text the group chat." Jordan suggested, which caused Delia to pluck him. "Ouch, what was that for?"

"Because I'm not texting in the chat, and making Mychal mad. She already upset she couldn't come." There was a knock on the door. Steph volunteered himself to open it.

Wiggins walked in first and then Klay. Cameron could tell by the look on his face, something was wrong.

"The store was crazy, there was a line in the line to check out because people wanted autographs. Then there was a fight at the restaurant next door, since its, what?" Wiggins looked down at his watch, "Happy hour? Yeah, a mess."

Wiggins sat next to Steph on the floor, while Klay disappeared into the bathroom. Another knock on the door caused everyone to look at Jordan and Wiggins. "One of you has to get the door, I just got up."

"He just got here." Jordan pointed. "Really bro?" He shrugged.

"Well, you're the youngest."

Delia began snickering which annoyed Jordan. He hated when people mentioned his age, especially around her. "That's wild bro." Jogging to the door, he opened it to reveal Draymond with the large bags of snacks.

"Y'all must've forgot I was behind y'all." Dray huffed as he placed the bag on the dining room table. "Baby, I got all of your favorites too."

Hazel jumped up running to the table to collect her snacks and greet her husband. Cameron took the chance to check on Klay in the bathroom. She knocked lightly before opening the door. His hands were holding the sink as the faucet ran.

"What's going on with you?" She closed the door behind her, stepping into the room. She preferred the sink being off but it filled the silence. "Klay.." She reached out to touch his face but he flinched. She tried again, this time he relaxed against her touch. Cameron took the opportunity to step closer to him, wrapping her arms around him. "Whatever it is, you can talk to me about it."

After a minute of stillness, he squeezed her hand. Cameron backed away to get a look at his face, he seemed more relaxed which brought a smile to her face. He wasn't supposed to, but he kissed her. The kiss wasn't rushed but it felt urgent, as if he desperately needed that intimate contact. Her hands grazed his beard as he quickly lifted her onto the counter. His lips made their way to her neck, nipping at the skin. "Klay," She whispered, "Our friends are in the other room."

He stopped himself, kissing at her lips torturously slow. She didn't know where to put her hands, so she grabbed at his shorts. "Cameron." He warned.

She looked up at him, searching his eyes for direction. "We should stop." She nodded.

"I got carried away." Klay chuckled, "I started it though, you head back in there and I'll meet you."

"Okay, we'll talk later right?" She asked.

"Yeah, we'll talk later." She left the bathroom slowly closing it behind her.

Klay turned off the water and sighed remembering the events that led him into the mood in the first place.