30 // Scalpel Check

"He's prepped for surgery. His family has arrived as well."

This was a lot for Cameron. She couldn't think straight and all she wanted to do was see Klay,  "I think I'm gonna throw up." Delia helped Cameron to the nearest bathroom.

"Let it out," Delia patted her friend's back. Cameron soon wiped her mouth and washed her hands. "Here's some gum."

Accepting the gum with a head nod, Cameron unwrapped it and shoved it in her mouth. She nervously chewed as they walked back to the waiting room. Christina pulled her to the side to talk with her.

"Delia!" Julie Thompson yelled as she ran over to her. "Hey Auntie Julie."

"Do they know what's going on with my son?" Delia ushered her to the bland grey chairs to sit. "He's prepped for surgery, they're waiting on the doctors to be available."

"Can we see him?"

"Not yet. The first person he wants to see when guests are allowed in is Cameron."

"She's here?" Delia pointed to where Cameron, Christina and Lil Iggy stood. "I'll be back."

Julie walked over to the group, earning a smile from Christina. "Hi Julie, so good to see you. Sorry it's under these circumstances." Julie didn't want to talk about why they were all there. She wanted to speak to the woman who captivated her son so much he compromised who she knew him to be.

"Hi Cameron, can I talk to you for a moment?" Cameron followed the older woman to a more private area. "Umm, hi."

"I've heard a lot about you but I didn't expect you to be here." Cameron wasn't sure how to respond to this. "Considering all that has happened."

Cameron had no idea Julie knew about her in the slightest. Let alone knew about them falling out.

"I'm sorry, all that happened?"

Mrs. Thompson cleared her throat, "The issue about money and the limelight?" Cameron had no idea what she was talking about so she awkwardly nodded. "Is there something I said?"

"I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. And I don't have time to harp on if you're mistaking me with someone else. I just want to make sure Klay is okay and that he has support. If you'll excuse me." Cameron walked over to Steve who just arrived.

"Garrett."
"Kerr."

He hugged her, knowing that she needed it. As of now she did and didn't think twice about hugging him back. "It looked like you needed that kid. Any update?"

She shook her head, trying to fight the tears. This was beyond stressful and being put together wasn't what she wanted to do at that moment. "I'm gonna check in with his doctors, they'll tell me and Bob something and I'll get back to you."

••••

Cameron's head laid in Mychal's lap as she took the small nap her body yearned for. It had been three hours since arriving to the hospital and there was little to no details on what was happening with Klay. With the help of melatonin she fell asleep for a short period of time.

"I really don't want to wake her, but me and Andrew have to get the kids from the baby sitter." Delia was asleep on Jordan's shoulder as he watched anime on his iPad. Lil Andre and Christina were the only ones still there and besides the Thompson family.

"I got her." Mychal carefully traded places with Christina who seemed worn out. She was tired for more reasons than one. Andre wouldn't come to the hospital and she was sure her husband was having a mental break down at home. Her stepdaughter was with her mother and she made sure her son wasn't around to see his father crumble.