22 // Doing Things Differently pt. 2

"Do you want another treat buddy?" Cameron asked sitting next to Rocco. Klay asked if she could come over to talk and he wasn't home yet. His maid let her in and she had been sitting with her favorite pup for the last twenty minutes.

Rocco nuzzled into her hand, which prompted Cameron to give him another treat. The front door could be heard opening, Rocco normally made his way to greet his owner, but he was preoccupied at the moment.

"Rocco, you in here?" Turning the corner, Klay was surprised to see his dog unmoved by his arrival. "I see why he didn't come to the door. Hey beautiful."

"Hi Klay." He kissed her on the cheek before sitting down next to her on the couch. "How was your day?"

"It's been pretty busy. I need to head back out for practice but I wanted to talk to you first." Klay took the seat next to Cameron which forces Rocco to move over. "How was your day?"

"Work was work, it was semi enjoyable today." Cameron didn't want to talk about work. "I would like to take you out on Wednesday if you don't mind."

"Like in public?" Klay nodded, "Yeah, unless you don't want to be seen in public? I understand if you didn't." Klay understood the chance of being spotted together without their friends would raise some heads, he was willing to risk it. "As minimal people as possible would be best."

They now have a date scheduled for Wednesday. Cameron had no clue what she would be wearing. She was happy that she had something to wear to the movie premiere tomorrow. In the meantime she still needed to decide if she would be attending the game tonight.

"Are you hungry? Could you do lunch with me?" He asked taking her out of her thoughts. "What did you have in mind?"

"Grilled scallops and shrimp Caesar salad. It's ready." Cameron followed him into the kitchen, immediately washing her hands before sitting down.

Although she agreed to come see him, she still was unsure. All Klay had ever done was slut her out and then shut her out. Her emotional maturity was depleting and she was allowing herself to be someone she wasn't.

"Is there anything in particular you would like to do or do you mind being surprised?"

"I don't mind being surprised." She shrugged. "Is it too much to ask to be your escort to the movie premiere?"

"Yes." She immediately answered, "That is too much"

He nodded in understanding, "Just wanted to see where we were."

"We're at lunch in your kitchen, that's about as far as you've gotten." She laughed. Klay knew by now that her laugh wasn't of enjoyment but of disdain.

"I'll share something with you and then you share something with me. That's cool?"
"Yeah, that's cool."

Klay wiped his mouth before speaking, "I'm my mother's favorite child."

Cameron laughed at the random fact he decided to share, "I'm my mother's only child."

"Well that's good to know, I think? How many siblings do you have?" She never talked about her family much so he had no idea of the dynamic besides her hating it.

"Seven on my father's side. I don't speak to any of them. How about you?"

"Two brothers. Real simple" he joked.
"Why do you think you're your mother's favorite?"

"She only harasses me. We talk probably three times a day."

"Maybe, she's worried about you because the other ones aren't as unpredictable." Cameron suggested. She liked that he was opening up about his family.

"I'm probably too predictable, that's why she's always worried." He chuckled nervously.

Julie was indeed worried about Klay. She felt like he never took care of himself enough to be as alone as he was. His injuries were almost designed to stay critical because he never let anyone help him.

"You're the only one of your family that's on this side of the country right?"

"Yup, and I prefer it that way." She giggles, "But I do have someone here, that's special to me."

"Who?"

"Her name is Sheila, she's been so sweet to me during my time here. Wouldn't have been able to do that without her."

After another hour of talking, Klay walked Cameron to her car. "Thank you for stopping by today. I really appreciate it."

"You insisted, so I gave you a chance." She hugged him a tightly before he pulled away to look at her once more.

She felt him getting closer to her and decided she needed to retreat. "I'll see you later." He held the car door open for her as she got in. "See you later Ronnie."