XVI - Well Hello There Stranger

Moving on, Anna has to admit, was the hardest thing she had ever done in her life. Which says a lot because their family has been through poverty and hunger. When she was a starving little girl, she knew she could just wait for their one and only meal the next day. They lived like that until her father took pity on them and took them to America. But having a broken heart was different. The pain could not be eased the next day. The one person that could save her did not love her anymore. Anna didn't know how to take the pain away.

It took a while. Anna moved to London for college and studied hard, staying away from distractions; especially the one that spells out b-o-y-s. Similarly after Anna graduated, she focused on her and her job alone. She hung out with some friends but never went out on dates. Now, she was on her way back to Virginia after twenty long years. After getting a better job offering, she did not hesitate to say adieu to her English friends and cross the Pond.

Despite the long journey, her first day of work as a General Surgeon at a military hospital in Portsmouth started bright and early the next day. Hopefully, tomorrow would only entail introductions and tours.

Anna would love to message her friend Mondy but she was scared. She cut off all types of communication between her and people in Virginia after the big break up. After all the depression faded away, Anna was too scared of rejection from her old best friend. She does miss him but because of Mondy's relationship with Blake, Anna didn't want to intrude. She's not sure where he was now.

A small noise buzzes over the plane's intercom, "Folks, we have begun our descent to Richmond International Airport, where the current weather is 72 degrees. We will be on the ground in approximately thirty minutes. Thank you for choosing Delta Airlines and we hope you enjoyed your trip. Flight attendants, please prepare for arrival." Anna looked out the small window and watched as she got closer and closer to the place she's been running away from for twenty years.

------------------
"Oh! You must be Dr. Marin! What a pleasure to finally meet you. Gosh, it's like meeting a celebrity," a young intern gushed. Anna blushed at her kind words. I guess they were debriefed that I was coming.

After the rouge on her cheeks paled out, she asked the gushing intern for the way to the Chief of Surgery's office. The intern gladly showed her the way. Her blushed came back when she realized his office was at the other side of the large hospital. The intern could've just told her where to go.

On their way to the Chief's office, Anna received some looks from almost everybody. They would smile at her respectfully whenever she made eye contact with them. She didn't realize that her reputation crossed the Atlantic Ocean and was known here in America as well.

"Dr. Marin! I apologize for not meeting you by the door. I should've been the one giving you the tour." A tall old man rushed to her and extended his hand for a hand shake.

"Just Anna, please," she said as she shook her hand. She gave the intern a nod when she was shooed away by the old man. From his arrogant stance, Anna believed this was the Chief of Surgery. "Should I give you a proper tour now before we sign some papers?" With no chance to reply, he led her into the surgical wing of the hospital.

As they entered through the automatic double doors, they were met by the person she hasn't seen in forever. "Ah! Dr. Marin, this is our head of cardiovascular surgery."

Familiar green eyes smiled at her, "Hello, nice to meet you."

-------------
Thank you for reading :)

Don't forget to comment and vote.