XX - The Last Straw

Enough, the word that should've entered Anna's vocabulary when the beating started. The first few months of their marriage were wonderful. Nothing was askew, nothing would've caused Anna to think that it would lead to this. Nothing would've led her to believe that the death of her husband's mother would trigger his violent actions. Actions that he apparently genetically inherited from his also violent father. Unfortunately for Anna, there was no slow transition to his violent ways. There were no symptoms for Anna to diagnose and be ready for. He didn't have episodes, he just changed.

One would think a smart woman like her would know when it was time to leave. A smart woman like her should know when a relationship was not healthy anymore. They were taught so in health class during the third year of high school. They were given a list of signs that they should watch out for. But overachievingly, her husband checked off all of the signs and added more into the already long list. Stupidly, Anna didn't remember this list. She probably did but she chose to ignore it. Anna blinded her own self for four years and received each of the painful blows. Stupidly, she convinced herself that his love still existed, he just showed it through his brutal ways.

Before he had forced her to "retire" as a general surgeon and stay at home, she went to her best friend who was a psychologist. She asked her for help, but cautiously prevented expose that there was trouble in their small little bungalow. Her friends knew about the tragedy that occurred in her husband's family. So fortunately, her friend provided no probing questions and gave her some medicines. But they never worked. Her husband never changed. She tried administering them to him through his food or drink.

But after four years she found out that he knew.

It wasn't because they weren't working but because he knew and somehow took it out.

How stupid of her.

Four years she has endured all of this. For four years, finally Anna knew that it was time to run. It was time for that new life her runaway guest promised her.

The door was so close. She was almost at the threshold, her right foot ready to pass the front door. But life can't be that easy. There was no way Anna can easily leave this house. Her husband took some medicine and messed with her head just to keep her here! Proven so by the heavy hand that dragged her back into the house, Anna shook her head at her luck and stupidity.

"No more, please I beg you!" Somehow Anna found her voice. For four years accepting the torture, she found the voice to plead. Maybe it might help her.

"You're mine! You cannot leave me! Do not leave me you bitch!" Like a ragdoll, her husband carelessly dragged her into the kitchen. For the first time her husband was planning to torture her there. He always dragged her away from the kitchen, but today was different.

"What are you doing!" Anna tried to fight away from his strong grip. Completely pointless from the size difference, her husband barely budged.

"You're mine and you need to remember that."

Once in the kitchen, her husband walked directly to the stove, turning it on.

Anna stiffened in fear.

"You are mine and you need to remember that."

Branding her, that was what he planning to do. Her husband had officially reached the point of no return. Anna started fighting, punching his face, kicking him. She tried to get away but he just laughed.

When the stove top was finally hot enough for her husbands liking, he started shoving her face into it.

With the every drop of energy left in her small body, Anna took the knife displayed by their stove. She swung with all her might, heard a bloody sound followed by a ferocious scream. Anna was quickly dropped and a loud thud was heard when her bleeding husband fell on the floor. Anna caught herself quickly before her face could fall into the hot cooktop.

Slowly turning around, there she saw the result of her swing. Somehow, she managed to slash into his throat, puncturing his carotid artery. There her husband laid, sprawled out just inches from her, dead.

"No! I'm sorry! Ethan! Ethan!" She sank to her knees and tried to stop the bleeding. Anna checked for the nonexistent pulse.

"Ethan! Do not leave me please!" Sitting in her husband's blood, Anna kept her hand at the wound, she needed to stop the bleeding.

"It's pointless Anna," a voice said by the entrance of the kitchen.

Her guest was back. "Blake! Mondy needs help! Save him please! Call 911!"

"He's dead." Taking her hand away, Anna took her husband's head and hugged him. She rocked back and forth as her tears started mixing with her husband's blood on the floor.

"Mondy I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

Slowly, she was pried away from her still bleeding husband. With no energy left, Anna allowed Blake to take her away from the gruesome sight. Without a fight, Anna allowed Blake to take her out of her house, out of the small bungalow with the front door wide open.