III - Strange Things Happen For A Reason

It's been three days since he laid a hand on her. This didn't really mean anything. He usually does this when she has to go out in public soon.

He's letting the bruises heal. He's not stupid. He wouldn't let nosey eyes question the discoloration on her skin. She quickly understood this after going to multiple military balls.

She didn't want to put forth more hope that'll quickly turn to waste.

She never knew where they were going and she wouldn't dare to ask. They might be going out soon but a few hits for questioning him would be easily covered by expensive makeup and a few little fibs.

Usually on the day of the party, everything she would need would be in a bag in the bathroom. It would be roughly shoved in there with the rest of the makeup that he wants her to wear. There was one time where some of the makeup spilled in the bag and all over the clothes. The very first time it happened, her eyes were quickly glazed over with tears of anger and hatred. She wanted to let it out but she couldn't. She couldn't do that to herself. One little tear would cause one broken rib and she promised herself that that wouldn't happen again.

The pain was unexplainable and excruciating.

So she just took deep breathes to medicate the tightening of her chest and washed the clothes. She wasn't sure if he did it on purpose. It was unquestionably possible.

Today was very different though. Her long dress was actually in a garment bag, carefully laid out on their King sized bed. The black duffle bag was nowhere to be seen. She gasped when she saw the makeup laid out above the garment bag. The labels were even shown. All lined up perfectly.

There are times when the hope for her old husband to come back brightens. Especially when he sometimes buys things that she remembers telling him a long time ago. Before the hitting and the yellow and purple skin discoloration all over her body.

She wondered what's so special about this party. Or was he slowly going back to his old self? She wanted to giggle at the thought of the latter but she hasn't done that in a few years. She doesn't even remember the last time she genuinely smiled. The stomach aching laughs were long forgotten.

A note was on the garment bag that simply said the time for when she has to be ready. She was used to looking through every corner of the black duffel bag for the tiny scrunched up paper. This time the paper was actually crispy and right in front of her face.

The strangeness of this situation was scaring her.

She quickly looked at the time and saw that she had at least an hour to get ready. It's going to take some time to cover all the bruises on her face and arm.

This time she's going to do it perfectly. She can sense that this party's going to be very special.

----------------------------------------------
Where do you think they're going?

Do you think he's slowly realizing what he's doing to her?

Hope you enjoyed it! Don't forget to vote and comment! ^_^