MSMC Bk 6 - Chapter 16

Chapter 16-Choosing baby Ben's Godparents

Jullian's POV

I was amazed when Rudy led me up to our room. I had to walk very slowly because I was still rather sore from giving birth, plus the pad I had to wear made me feel like I was trying to keep a pillow in my crotch. Rudy carried Ben and when he opened our bedroom door, I was shocked to see all of the things he had bought. I got so excited and could barely wait for him to open the box that contained the bassinet and to get it set up.

We put Ben in the middle of our bed while he worked on unpacking the bassinet and stuff that came with it. I began unpacking the many bags of clothes and things they had bought. He told me that Millie paid for some of it, saying it was her and Doc's gift to us instead of putting money in our cash box last night. I felt like crying because of how nice everyone was being to us. Neither Rudy nor I had ever known this kind of treatment in our own homes and this touched me deeply.

"Rudy? Who do you want Ben's godparents to be?" I asked him as I looked through the darling clothes that they had bought. The little outfit with a baby bear riding a motorbike on a baby blue t-shirt with soft knit bottoms that were sewn to look like blue jeans pants and a cap that looked like a bikers helmet was absolutely adorable.

When he didn't answer me, I looked over at him and nearly laughed at the dumbfounded expression on his face. "What's the matter?" I asked.

"I just never thought about that. Who do you think we should choose?" He asked me.

"Well, I think we should choose someone who has similar beliefs in raising children to us. Someone who can provide for them if something were to happen to us. Someone capable of loving them the way they would love their own." I said.

"Should age matter?" Rudy asked.

"Well, as much as I like Doc and Millie and think they might make great God parents, I think we should pick someone who will not be so old. They are both old enough to be our parents. Heck they are old enough to be Rooster and Dixie's parents." I said.

"I agree that while I think they would make great Godparents, they are a bit too old. But what about maybe Boomer and Kaylee? Millie told me today that we have named our son after him almost exactly! I nearly fell out of the car when she told me Boomer's real name is Benjamin Nathan Hanson." Rudy told me.

"What?" I said, just as shocked as Rudy must have been.

"Yeah, I couldn't believe it either. Somehow it seems like fate has led us here. To meet Boomer and the others." He told me.

"Wow! I had been thinking about Cheryl and Manny, because they are closest to us in age but I think you are right. But if we do choose them, I want it made clear to him that I don't want our son to be raised exclusively as a warrior. I want him to have free choice as to what he will do with his life. I think we need to think about this some more. This would be a lifetime commitment for them." I said.

"What do you think about Rooster and Dixie? I heard that it's likely they will never have any more children." Rudy asked me.

"Hmmm. I was thinking about them too. I know our son would always be well protected with him but I think that's true with any of the executive staff. How about Hunter and Marley?" I asked as we continued on down a list of people we might consider.

"I like Hunter a lot. He's incredibly smart and calmer than the rest of them, at least I've never seen him really lose his temper. I've enjoyed training with him. Eagle as well but he has PTSD and that makes me nervous. They can snap and lose it at any time, especially when they are stressed out." Rudy said.