MSMC Bk 6 - Chapter 23

Chapter 23-Mindy passes out!

We left their room and hurried back down the hall. "Thank God, I have a room near the front. These hallways are ridiculous. What are we making for lunch anyway?" I asked as we hurried along.

"Leftover meatloaf subs but I want to melt some cheese on the top of it. I've found that if I cut it into squares, I can lay cheese on it, lay it on the sourdough bread slices with lettuce and tomato, these guys eat it up. They are not really picky eaters but man can they put away the food. It's almost impossible to make enough to have leftovers. Nessa's man Hulk can really put it away. I've seen him go back 3 times and fill his plate and finish it all every time and still eat 2 helpings of dessert. No wonder he's so big." Claire told me with a giggle.

"Whew, girl slow down a minute. I'm losing my breath. My damned ribs hurt." I said, slowing down to a stop and bending over to catch my breath.

"Woah! Are you alright?" Claire said, becoming concerned.

"Yeah. These hallways are really long and we were walking so fast. I'm out of shape I guess." I said as I slowly tried to fill my lungs enough to not cause me pain.

"Maybe you should go lay down? I can handle lunch on my own." Claire said and I could hear the worried note in her voice.

I tried to straighten back up but my head began to swim and I moaned "Oh, that wasn't a good idea." I whispered as the room started to spin and then everything went black.

Claire's POV

When Mindy started to sway, I managed to catch her before she hit the floor and thank goodness I'm a bit taller than she is but I was beginning to panic. "Help! Somebody! Help me!" I screamed, praying that someone would hear me.

Suddenly it sounded like a stampede was coming up the stairs and Rooster and the whole executive staff was suddenly there.

"What the hell? What happened, Claire?" Rooster said as he ran towards me.

"We were just down visiting with Annalisa and were hurrying back to go start lunch and were half running and half speed walking when she suddenly said she was out of breath. She stopped and bent over to try and catch her breath saying her ribs were hurting her and when she went to stand up she passed out. I just started screaming for help."

"Somebody text Doc and tell him to get up here. Let's not move her just yet." Rooster said. "Did she hit her head when she passed out?" He asked.

"No, I caught her before she hit the floor." I said. "These hallways are just too long. Hell, even walking at a normal pace you can get winded and we were rushing."

"Somebody find Knuckles and tell him." Rooster said.

A minute later, Doc came hurrying up and was out of breath! "What happened?" he asked, huffing and puffing.

I repeated what I had told Rooster while Doc checked her pulse and took her blood pressure, then listened to her heart and lungs and then something that I found very strange. "Everyone be very quiet." He said and put his stethoscope on Mindy's ribs and closed his eyes as he listened. After a minute, he looked up and lifted Mindy's shirt. Her ribs were bruised but it didn't look all that bad.

Just then Knuckles rushed up to us and bent down next to Mindy. "What the hell happened? Why is she unconscious?" He asked, looking almost wounded.

Again I repeated what had happened and a few seconds later, Mindy began to come around. She moaned and put her hand to her head as her eyes fluttered open.