Episode 42: Roadkill

One early morning, in Inkwell Hell, the Devil is fast asleep in his bed. Just then, he removes the eye mask as he wakes up. He stretches his arms with a yawn. He then puts on his slippers and opens the curtains to the sound of souls screaming and wailing.

The Devil happily says, "Ah, beautiful day."

Then takes his leave.

He then walks down the aisle of his throne room to notice the last donut in a box.

"Ooh! Don't mind if I do," The Devil says eagerly and takes the donut.

When he tries to eat it a famous clear throat appears and says, "Excuse me."

The Devil scratches to a stop and drops the donut on the floor. There, he sees Stickler holding the book of rules.

The Devil calls out, "Henchman, bring more donuts."

And glares at Stickler, And as for you..." and blasts him with the pitchfork.

But to no avail, because he's still wearing the sweater.

The Devil frowns, "Still wearing the invisible impenetrable sweater, I see."

I come with news from the annual ledger review," Stickler says.

"Thrill me, Stickler," The Devil says as he walks past the smaller demon.

Stickler says, "Apparently you have not collected a single soul in months."

"Yeah. There's more to life than work, Stickler. Now, if you don't mind, I'm trying to start my day." The Devil says.

But suddenly, a bubble appears on the throne, causing the Devil to bounce off and lands on the ground. His pitchfork flies out and clatters at something. The Devil lifts his head up with a groan and dazes from the sudden impact.

The Devil turns his head and asks, "What was that?"

That is one of the Bubbles of Failure. They will entomb everything you cherish. Your bed, your coffee mug, your paintings," Stickler explains, as everything is bubbled.

The Devil also sees the bubble trapped and sadly says, "Aw..."

The Devil stands and asks, "And why is that, exactly?"

To encourage soul collection. No new souls, no access to belongings," Stickler says.

The Devil is clearly upset, "This is an outrage! Who instituted this miserable policy?"

"You did," Stickler answers

"I did?" The Devil questions.

"Yes," Stickler asks.

The Devil points to himself and asks, "I did?"

"Yes," Stickler answers.

The Devil asks a third time, "I did?"

"Yes," Stickler answer

Soon, the Devil understands and says, Oh. Well, you have to admit, that is pretty evil." And let out a chuckle.

Stickler opens the book and says, "Per Clause 548B subsection C..."

Floating by is Henchman, strapped in the bubble as he calls out, "Uh, Boss?

"...you must collect a single soul within one business day. If you fail," Stickler continues.

He then licks his finger and turns to the next page, "All assets will remain permanently seized."

"Fine. I'll use this opportunity to finally get that cup and that girl's souls," The Devil says and walks off.

Then Stickler says, "Obtaining any soul will satisfy the requirements."