chapter 4 (nishtha dhratiha satyam)

NISHTHA    DHRATI-HA     SATYAM

ORIGIN-SANSKRIT                                                                                                              Dedication, steadfastness and truth

Aayra

When she wakes up 8 hours later, she gets the shock of her life.

She stares wide eyed at the view outside the window. She has seen her share of picturesque locations, but the view right now stole her breath

It is deathly quiet on the plane.

She stammers but fails to produce a sound.

Any sound.

She's angry and feels helpless.

She goes to Augustino who has just returned from the cockpit.

"Augustino, I-we", she fails yet again to form a coherent sentence.

Yes, cara?

She composes herself, not wanting to faint right now

"Augustino I know my current affairs as well as my geography and I don't think the Italians have leased their torre di Pisa to the Swiss yet"

He looks at her for several seconds and then speaks.

"cara, I am sorry. You were out like a log.I asked them not to disturb your sleep."

He lowered his voice and said

"your so-asleep-that-spit-runs-out-of-your-mouth deep sleep", he said impassively.

He lifted his hand to her mouth hinting its remnant were still present.

Wide eyed and mortified she tried wiping her mouth with the side of her sleeves.

Ghost of a smile hinted on his lips.

Then he got serious.

"my nonna suffered an attack. I had to divert the flight to Italy. We are landing in few minutes. I will arrange your flight to Zurich, not Geneva this time cara. Bear with us. Please."

She nodded her head.

"I am sorry. Is she..."

"she's alive I am told. My brother died a month ago. Chiara's father. We all took it pretty hard. Chiara suspects something's wrong but doesn't know the truth. We can't lose another one. I am sorry to drag you into all this. To delay your travels but worry not I will arrange the flight as soon as we land."

"please Augustino. I will be fine. I will manage something. If there's anything I can do ...."

"I will let you know cara. Meanwhile go freshen up, have coffee, we will be landing soon".

I saw him booking a flight to Zurich. What if I stay in Italy rather than Geneva for the time being? I am sure Augustino will arrange something. A month in Italy wouldn't be so bad. I will depart for Zurich after I am certain he left Zurich. I'll take my chances here, than there.

After I leave the restroom, I take my seat and we all wait to land.

As I existed the plane I saw hordes of car waiting for us.

Augustino placed his hand on short of my back guiding me to the car and I take a seat with them all.

Me and Chiara sat opposite to Vittorio and Augustino. A man in grey suit sat in front, with the driver.