chapter 7 (resfeber)

RESFEBER

Origin-Swedish

The restless race of the traveler's heart before the start of a journey, when anxiety and anticipation are tangled together

ATHINA

As the late august rays enter my room and I open my eyes, I realize it's the day.

I am getting married today.

Last 17 days have been emotionally draining and physically exhausting.

Pappa wouldn't talk to me nor would Aliki speak about the Brindisi matter. Mr. Stamper made it clear that he is instructed to report every visitor in my room, to my fiancé. I am sure he would also report any conversations I had with them. With no other constant companion, Mr. Stamper and I are bff s now.

"chrisso mou, do you trust me?             "of course pappa. I know this is all just a misunderstanding. Aiden must've lost his cool and misinterpreted the entire episode. Don't worry pappa. I will talk to him.".                                         "chrissou, I was just trying to....

And Mr Stamper interrupted him.

In his own house.

"sir I think that is enough. It was agreed that details will not be shared. I am sorry sir."

I glared at Stamper.

He is standing in Sakellarios mansion and has the nerve to interrupt my father. Needless to say I called Aiden. He listened to me and said just "moro, DO NOT TEST ME. We are to wed in less than 20 days. My estate isn't ready, my sister is giving us all a hard time already and to top it all I cannot deal with Orestis right now. Display your displeasure after the wedding. And I swear if the current arrangements aren't to your liking, I will abduct a priest and we will be married in an hour. I promise you. And I always deliver what I promise."

"but Aiden my father is upset and I think.......

"you leave all the thinking to me, love. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing and remember ignorance is bliss. Live in that. I will talk to Orestis. When is your dress due to deliver? Did you choose anything from the Nikos Koulis collection?"

I know he's changing the subject. But what choice do I have. Sullenly I answer him and I hear him sighing loudly.

"just a matter of 20 days moro. I will ask Stamper to take you out, get whatever you need and I'll see if I l can meet you for lunch, kala?

"if you can't make it can I go with.......

He didn't let me finish

"then Stamper will tell you fascinating stories about his stamp collection. I hear he has some rare ones."

There was absolute silence, neither of us spoke.                                                       I am a captive in my own house just because my fiancé and my father had a little spat. PERFECT. What a way to start new life.

At St. George Greek Orthodox Cathedral on August 29 in a simple ceremony attended by over one thousand people we were married. A typical Greek wedding ceremony lasts for about 30-60 minutes. But what confounded me was the fact that the bride and the groom do not speak at all. No exchange of vows. My engagement ring is on my left ring finger but my Virgin Mary blessed wedding ring is on my right.

Aiden was cold throughout the process. Aiden neutrality and nonchalance towards the entire wedding process was baffling. After all it was his father who proposed the marriage and no one can make Aiden do what he doesn't want to do.