chapter 12 (the beginning)

I kali mera apo to proi fenete

Origin- Greek proverb

You can tell a good day from the morning

Context of usage- the beginnings often tell us about the future.

Athina

Like other areas at the estate, the doghouse was expansive. At this hour al the dogs were in their respective areas. For safety a barbed fence was erected and an additional gate was installed, but I was sure they could dismantle either of them, if they so wished. I was wordless for several seconds, gaping at the animals in front of me.

"This is Diablo, he's an American Pit-bull Terrier. As a breed pit bulls are most dangerous dogs to walk god's green earth. Diablo seems aggressive because he was bred for dogfighting. Pit bulls are known for their lethal bite and their refusal to let go of the enemy. I would strongly advise against a casual night stroll alone for the next few weeks until he gets acclimatize with you." Killian words had my heart race faster.

"Groot here is our Rottweiler. Keep your distance from this one. Never even try looking at him the wrong way. This one has extreme bouts of aggression at everyone. Well except Aiden himself of course. Ryker bought him up so he too out of the danger zone. He tolerates Ida, Stamper and Zeno for few minutes but that's just about it. Ah and Zeno was the guy you saw at the main gate of the estate, the one with broad grin and was waving at you."

Why would anyone in their sane mind, even keep such creatures?

"Brutus baby here is Dogo Argentino. This one gives the pit-bull a run for his money in terms of aggressiveness and tenacity. Banned in a number of countries he's an absolute darling for Aiden. Argentinian mastiffs are bred for hunting big game and protection. This one here is the leader of the pack and sure is almost always let loose in the estate. Don't look so worried Athina, Aiden will help you befriend him. At least."

Yes Killian it would be an absolute delight to befriend him.

"Mountain, Medusa, Minka and Muse They are our Doberman Pinschers. Two males and two females. You will love them Athina. They always work as a unit. Always. They are a separate family in the pack. Always standing with each other, never eat or sleep without each other. They are strong immensely loyal, to Aiden. They never hesitate to attack anyone who dare raising their voice on Aiden, not that anyone does. Actually Ida did once and she's almost his mother. But no, they don't feel that way. They in unison jumped on Ida. Aiden had to shield Ida in order to protect her. Also I think Medusa here, the brown one has a crush on Aiden. She's always trying to lick Aiden and I've seen her growling when Aiden talks about you in front of her. I would really recommend avoiding her. Indefinitely. But don't tell Aiden I said so."

Yeah sure Killian, I truly don't mind keeping my distance from her. Or all of them here.

"Zatanna here is our gull Dong. You will love this. He's a rare breed from Pakistan, not a family pet though. This one here is most temperamental, grumpy, picky and unpredictable. He wasn't even train properly, so we generally keep him out of the estate, but he's a good guard dog. He likes to bring to us the maimed limbs of his catches. Letting us know he's guarding well. He's my absolute favorite."

Right now even my subconscious has no words. "Not a family pet though", then why keep him here. My husband is into illegal dog fight games. Why keep them here otherwise. How is everyone not maimed already?

"This beast is your favorite? I ask him completely astonished.

"yes Athina, don't be so alarmed by them."