Chapter 6 (ikigai)

IKIGAI

Origin-Japanese

A concept referring to something that gives a person a sense of purpose, a reason for living

AUGUSTINO

Convincing Albertina to take a month off was hard. She's old, stubborn and instantly knew she had to hide this from my father. But there's nothing Augustino Troisi cannot do. A little bit of charm here & there. And lots of bribery and a promise to send her and her husband on an extended holiday in Aspen, finally worked. She will stay away from us until further notice.

Chiara's school starts at 8:30. Its currently 7:45. My niece is ready and is throwing her usual tantrums for breakfast. But I am impressed, Aayra makes sure Chiara eats well and on time.

I can hear them from upstairs.

Oh you guys don't know. Well Ms Saini took possession of the entire first floor of my house. It's been 7 days now. That was her only condition. Well not only. This time before accepting the job, she wanted to know all the details. Her working hours, her responsibilities and her salary.

I am currently sipping my coffee and listening to their conversation. My niece's mother was Russian. She left and my twin brother Giorgio  raised her alone. In America. Giorgio was claimed by my mother's father the might Roberto Manchini, to be his heir.

He died a month back. In the Tuvalu earthquake. What I didn't tell everyone, was the fact that he actually succumbed to his injuries. He was shot in the knees and shoulder. I was extracting him from the hotel, when the earthquake hit the small island and tsunami warning was issued. I couldn't get him to the hospital fast enough. Chiara was in Italy, with my parents at that time.

His wife's family were always against the marriage. She came from an influential lineage. They wanted bloody revenge but things calmed down, when Chiara's mother agreed to give away Chiara to Giorgio in exchange of settling the feud. Anyways. Its 8 am, time to start my day.

Its red day at her school day, so she is dressed in a beautiful red gown (who buys a gown for a preschooler), red hair ties and red bag. They both settle in the back seat with Aayra mentioning something about Chiara looking like an Indian bride.                      I like it when my niece is enjoying, her company.                                                 Her smile is captivating. She goes all toothy. When she smiles and it reaches her eyes my.......                      .                    I mean my niece is enjoying what more can I ask for.

After we drop Chiara at school after an extended waving session, I take my seat at the wheel, while Ms Saini seats herself at the back.                          Sighing, I look at her though the mirror and say, "if her royal highness can grace us with her presence to the front, her employer wouldn't feel like a chauffeur to his employee."

Her face reddened and she apologized and came sat beside me. On the passenger seat.

Her black pencil skirt was doing a wonderful job highlighting her smooth calves but the short 2.5 inch heels wasn't doing her delicate ankles any justice.

My trance was broken when she cleared her throat, indicating I was staring.

"the tag", I say to save myself.         "kya?".                                                       "the tag on your sandals is still attached".                                                 She smiled sheepishly and broke the tag.

She rushed straight to father's office when we reached the office. But my father had already beaten her to it. He was in a meeting with Dion Moudeno. Father wanted to expand our business in France and befriending the son of current mayor of Toulouse was one way to do it. Dion's grandfather once held the same position and he himself had political ambitions.