Chapter 9 (mit kliku)

Mit kliku

Verb                                                               Origin-Czech

To have luck on your side

someone

March in Russia is tricky. While it heralds the beginning of spring, weather is mostly wintery. But I am not thinking about weather right now. I don't fucking care. I've lost her.

my soulmate.  my love.                             my wife                                                                                                                                                She fell into the fire in front of me. And I couldn't save her. She's not good with handling pain. I can only imagine how she must've screamed when the intense fire burnt her flesh. The hot searing pain she must've gone through. I promised her I will save her, protect her. For the first time in life, I didn't deliver what I promised.

His hand on my shoulder bought me out of my reverie.

"You need to stop thinking about her. She didn't survive. No one survives that intense....                                    

"Until I see her lifeless body with my own eyes and I bury her with my hands, I will keep searching her. Mikhailovsky is an ally and I intent to use his resources. "

"Mr. Mainos. Mr. Mikhailovsky will see you now. This way please." his secretary informed me.

As we entered his office, the powerful man rose to his feet. He shook my hand and hugged me.

"I am sorry for your loss son." he consoled sincerely and I simply nodded.

"Did you arrange everything I asked for?" I ask him.

"da. Everything is arranged as you demanded. My men are tailing her uncle and his wife. Their phones are under surveillance too. But I don't understand the need. Your father was astonished when he learned about your fruitless quest. She's dead. You need to accept that."

"If by any miracle she survived, I know she will dare not go to her uncle. I am sure of that. Her only surviving family is them and I need to be sure."

"But they haven't even been in the picture. Didn't they sever all ties with them?"

"If she's alive, they're her only choice. And I cannot take any chances. Is your jet ready, I would like to leave early morning tomorrow?"

"But you just got here. My daughter wanted you to rest here. My nephew left for Italy, he'll be back soon. I am sure I can find something to keep you occupied."

"Italy!?"

"Hmm, I wanted to set things straight with lupo. I cannot divulge names and start a war. I want to hand over things to you and retire peacefully. It's about time now. I am giving you 10 months. At the end of which it will be a year. She isn't alive but I will help you nonetheless. However, I cannot let you pursue a mirage. Do what you need to do in these 10 months. I will hand over everything to you after that."

"what about your nephew? Will he accept this. I am an outsider after all. I am not even related by blood to you."

"He's happy at his current position. He wants everything in life. A home, a wife to love, hot meals on table. House filled with screaming kids. He wanted to leave everything and go, long back, but I asked him to stay until I find someone worthy. He wouldn't be a problem, trust me."

2 days later we are standing in front of his office in Montreux

Impressive empire he has built himself here. 3 generations of running a successful pharmaceuticals company, supplying medicines worldwide. No one suspects a thing when he smuggles conflict diamonds, drugs or practically everything disallowed by the authorities.

But why did he kill his only daughter's husband, still remains a mystery.

"Sir, he will see you now. Please follow me." it's like universal secretary language.

I smile. Time to meet her true family for the first time.

"What do you want?", he asked feigning ignorance.

"I heard your culture doesn't allow you to speak to your son-in-laws like this. But then again, you widowed your own daughter. Has she called? Did you speak to her?"

"Mainos, I read the papers. Not many survived. She's dead. DEAD. Even if she was alive, she doesn't know anything about me. The only thing her aunt told her about me was that I killed my own daughter's husband. She'll want to stay away from her father's killers. I am sure you have me under surveillance, I am not naïve, just senile. She wouldn't reach out to me."

Just as he finished, his phone buzzed indicating a call.

"Your number isn't called frequently, mind if we listened who's calling?"

I stare at him and he held my gaze. He accepted the call and put it on speaker.

"Mr. Saini, I am calling from Sneha reliefs from Naples. Ca-can we talk about the relief orders now? If ever-everything is ready, can I—can we visit and collect those packages?, a timid voiced woman enquired.

I hear him sigh. "I am a businessman, not a philanthropist. Stop calling this number repeatedly. Your relief packages aren't ready and I doubt they will be anytime soon. You and your world aids will have to wait."

"Sir, people need your help, can you help in any other.......

He didn't let the woman finish her sentence and disconnected he call.

"It was a mistake providing WHO free medicines", he stated exasperatedly

"You know the consequences if you go against us, don't you?" I warned him.

He didn't reply simply glared at me.

I smiled at him and left his office. But not before reminding him to call me if she ever contacts him.

After we exit the building, I tell Emil I want to go Greece next.

Meanwhile, the woman who had just called the pharmaceutical giant at his office, felt humiliated after he disconnected the call.

"itna rude hone ki kya zarurat thi. Pyar se bhi to mana kar sakte the"

"What did you say? Didn't catch you cara, who were you speaking to?", he asked.

"Ah-umm no one. Just some rude client. I need to talk to your brother, can you excuse me for 30 minutes. Please." I plead with him.

"Cara, I have 4 brothers. But I know which one you want. Go ahead but don't take too long. Si?"

I smile and nod my head at Dante.

I need to ask Augustino if he can employ me for another month. Maybe more.
Because my grandfather just asked me not to come visit him.

Great work Aayra, great work.

I am doing everything my uncle asked me to. I will visit him when he wants me to. And so far he hasn't denied, just delayed.

Everything will be fine Aayra. You survived so much, you can do this.

Right?