The Thirtieth Hour

Prompt: Heart to Heart

Marinette walked in first, heading straight towards the fireplace to try and get some warmth back into her fingers and toes. Just as she walked into the main communal area a little red blur jumped out and zoomed towards her face.

"Marinette!"

"Tikki? Oh my goodness, Tikki. You're okay?" Reaching forwards, Marinette plucked the small kwami out of the air and hugged her closely against her cheek, relishing in the joy of having her little friend back with her and by the looks of her, feeling well. She'd never needed her kwami more than in this moment.

She heard the door slam shut in the hallway, the breeze from the wind obviously taking the door out from Adrien's hands and enthusiastically shutting itself.

Marinette tensed knowing any moment now he was going to enter the room and demand some sort of explanation about what that was just about and she couldn't blame him really, it had flown in out of the blue. Why did she have to open her big mouth?

'When did you stop loving me?'

Why did she have to say that? Why, after having that conversation with Granny, did she have to do something like that!Didn't it go against everything they'd discussed.

Worst of all, she never even gave Adrien a chance to answer. She just stood from where they were seated and moved towards the cabin as quickly as she could. Actually, that wasn't the worst because really the worst was saying it in the first place. What the hell had been going through her mind?

She'd gone to kiss him and he'd moved, that is all that happened, and instead of taking it on the chin she'd — once again — blown it out of proportion. For once, couldn't she just act normal in front of Adrien.

Looking to the doorway, Marinette couldn't help but feel relief that he hadn't followed in after her, though it also hurt that he hadn't. She placed one hand, complete with wet glove — to her head. Did he not care?

Suddenly two voices were heard in the hallway, both only slightly above a whisper. Adrien and Plagg. It seemed both kwami's were back. The gruff, nasally voice lecturing Adrien on something and barely giving the blond hero a chance to respond.

"Marinette," Adrien's voice finally sounded from in the hallway. "I'm going to use the bathroom for a shower, you can use the ensuite."

With a click of a door, it seemed Adrien and, by relation, Plagg had entered the bathroom leaving her alone in the rest of the cabin with Tikki.

"Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!" Marinette exclaimed, marching the length of the room biting hard on the thumb of her glove as she placed it in her mouth.

"You or Adrien?" Tikki asked, flying and perching herself in the Christmas Tree.

"Who do you think?" Marinette dropped down onto the sofa, only to spring back up as her wet jeans clung to her legs. "Now I've destroyed the sofa too. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with me? With us? How can it keep getting it so wrong?"

With a small giggle, Tikki flew over to her holder. "Oh, Marinette, it's not that bad."

"Not that bad? It's as though we're both 13 again. We're meant to be hitting adulthood, this should be easier."

Marinette walked over to the fireplace and turned around, warming her rear in front of the fire. She really needed to get out of these clothes before she made herself ill. Finally prising the gloves off her hands, Marinette moved towards the kitchenette and threw them in the tumble dryer, followed swiftly by her hat — a hat which had taken the brunt of the storm by falling off mere minutes into the snowball fight.