32| Venice and Vain

On the ride home from the water park, Tony manages to grab the front seat. James gives him a glare as he climbs to the very back, which Tony returns with a smile.

He's grateful to get the aux once again. Everyone knows his music taste is top tier and if Tony has to listen to James' shitty playlist one more time he might shoot him then himself.

The drive home is spent in much greater silence than the drive there. Tony's content, though. He spends the hour either sleeping or on his phone.

Steve, of course, spends the ride back texting. It's so much that even Clint teases him about it. Tony doesn't know if he wants to slap Steve or Clint then. Instead, he faux asleep.

It's been getting harder and harder to act like Steve doesn't exist. Especially since they have the same friend group that just cannot be apart for more than five seconds. It especially sucks in classes, when they have to partner up.

Steve, Tony, and Bruce all share first-hour biology with Mrs. Allison. Whoever decided that their school should be the only one to have seniors take bio their senior year was really stupid.

Mrs. Allison had people pair up in groups for an assignment. Something about creating your own water filter- Tony doesn't really know. He checked out of listening when he heard group.

Group usually means more than two. Which means more than just Bruce and Tony. This means Tony has no excuse to try and keep Steve excluded. Not that Bruce would ever let that happen, that overly nice jerk.

So that's why the three of them have their desks pushed together in a kind of makeshift circle and are talking about their planning. Seriously, it is way too early on a Tuesday to be doing shit like this.

Bruce seems to be the one doing most of the planning. Steve seems lost, he's just agreeing with whatever the other says. Tony is just nodding along and only speaking up when he disapproves.

Bruce sighs, obviously sensing the tension.

"We're gonna need a lot more time to work on this if we wanna have this finished by Monday."

Tony and Steve share a split second of eye contact.

Lunches aren't any better. Tony tries to keep his mood afloat, leaning on James and stealing half of his food. Joking with Nat or rolling his eyes at Clint. Watching Thor and Bruce talk (well, more like Thor talks and Bruce listens). But somehow the presence of Steve always ruins it.

Tony tugs on James' jacket sleeve.

"I'm bored," he grumbles, trying his best to keep his eyes fixated on James. Not Steve, who is texting on his phone, still.

A few minutes ago he noticed how from across the cafeteria Maddie is also tapping away on her phone. Seriously. They are thirty feet apart. Put everyone out of their misery and just go talk outside together or something.

"Aww, honey," James swings an arm around Tony and pulls him closer, "deal with it." He finishes it off with a tap to Tony's nose. In response, Tony's nose scrunches up and he pushes James away.

"Fuck you."

Some people at the table laugh, but it's all drowned out. Steve was watching James and his talk. Steve actually looked up from his phone for the first time that whole lunch to look at them. Tony feels his stomach flip.

"Excuse me," Steve mumbled, barely audible to anyone who wasn't paying attention. Tony was.

Steve gets up and taps some letters onto his phone before pocketing it. He gives Clint a hair ruffle ... then he's off. He just walks away.