Lazy days

Josh looked so peaceful, his eyes were closed and the worry had melted off his face long ago. Unlike me, he was still human, which meant that he would age and die at the appropriate time.

At least, if he lived a normal life.

I didn't know how to describe it, but it felt like he wasn't real. That I was just imagining this perfect guy with a history as tragic as my own.

He'd been integral in my development of vampire abilities.

Apparently, he'd dealt with some wolves and our powers pretty much worked the same. Or, so he says.

It was all about control, how I wanted to move my body. Eventually it would come as easily as breathing.

Hopefully.

We were still working on my speed, and my hearing definitely needed some help, but we were going in the right direction at least.

"I can feel you starin'." He mumbled, eyes still closed.

"Maybe I just like the way you look."

Josh hummed. "Don' have to do it when I'm sleepin'."

"Then go back to sleep."

He opened one eye. "You're thinking."

"I am not."

"Yes you are." Josh took a deep breath and stretched, before settling back down. "Out with it."

There had been something I was wondering about. "Your hometown, you said it was full of wolves."

"Unfortunately."

"But wasn't your dad a hunter?"

He let out a deep sigh. "My sister got attached and then they sort of grew on all of us. We were unlikely friends."

"Oh, so like my group."

"Yeah, except without the psychotic vampires."

"You like Damon and Stefan."

"No, I tolerate them because I know you love them."

I grinned. "You big ol' softie." The Mikaelsons had gotten a little too close for comfort, but I trusted Josh to keep us safe. He'd already proven that he could several times over. "I still can't believe I've never met your group. You've met mine, well what's left of it."

"And it'll stay that way. Vampires and werewolves don't get along. There are far too many alphas in that town for me to be comfortable with you there."

I feigned offense. "I think I can handle a few wolves. After all, we are outsmarting the biggest, baddest wolf of all time."

A small part of me, past all the hatred and disgust for that family, was kind of proud at how far I'd come. They never believed I could make it and this is the first time I had a plan that Klaus didn't immediately figure out.

"Still not happening. Scott, maybe, and if you meet Scott, you meet Stiles."

"What the hell is a Stiles?"

"Scott's best friend. I feel like you would either be best friends or you would despise each other." He turned to stare at the ceiling above. "But I left that town. I couldn't keep getting dragged into their drama."

I pressed my lips together. "I'm sorry I pulled you into mine."

"It's different with yours. I mean sure, it's terrifying being on the run from Originals, but I feel like we're living a semi normal life. We live together, go out to bars, hunt the supernatural."

Laughing, I smacked his shoulder. "You're insane."

"Maybe, but loving you means accepting at the things that come with you too."

We settled into a silence. Not the uncomfortable ones I used to have with the Mikaelsons during a fight, but a content one.

As thorough as I had been, I was terrified they were going to find out, that Klaus would find out I was trying to wake his father. "I need you to promise me something."

"What?" He asked suspiciously.

"When they catch up to us, that you'll run while I distract them. Even if it means I go with them."

"What?! No, I'm not going to do that."

"Josh, please."

He hesitated. "Okay, if they catch up to us, which they won't. I'll go."

"I don't know what I'd do if I lost you." Or the Salvatores or Caroline and Bonnie.

I couldn't handle losing another damn person.

"You're not going to." Josh pulled me into his chest and wrapped his arms around me. "What was it like? Living with them?"

It was a subject change.

"Terrifying. Especially since I wouldn't do what they wanted me to do, and with Hayley there... we were constantly at one another's throats." It was a rough month and half before they let their guard down long enough for me to slip away.

Honestly, I think that Kol has been acting as a barrier between me and his siblings though, like he hasn't forced me into being his soulmate.

Though apparently he could've done it all along, and had been sorely tempted to.