The way its done

Damon and I had been texting back and forth, debating the whole Mikael situation. Apparently there was an issue with his coffin, which meant I was stuck here until further notice.

Not that I could go anywhere anyway.

Klaus had gone off with Elijah and Finn to teach the witches a lesson, which left Kol and Freya here to protect Hope and I. We'd gotten back just as they were on their way out.

"Drew?" I nearly jumped out of my skin as I rushed to hide my screen. Kol cautiously entered my room. "Could I speak with you?"

I tried to quell my racing heart. Could this be any more suspicious?!

"Do I have a choice?" Why'd I even bother asking that question. No one in this family actually gave me one.

"You always do with me."

I pulled my knees to my chest. "Are you sure you're not going to force it."

"Right, that's what I wanted to talk to you about." He tentatively sat on the edge of the bed. "I was wrong to tell you that, to use it against you. I apologize."

"Then why'd you do it?"

He sighed. "For a thousand years I told myself I would be different than my father, especially when it came to you, but I think I've turned into the very monster I wanted to avoid."

Josh's mangled body flashed in my mind, along with his blood- it was everywhere, on Kol, the floor, me...

"I should've given you space, like I said I would. You were right in saying I was a hypocrite, I did have lovers before you, yet I didn't offer you the same opportunity. It's not fair to you." He hesitantly reached for my hand and I allowed him to take it, almost curious where he was going. "There are a lot of things that have happened that I regret, and I know they've hurt you. When I held you back, that day, I thought I was protecting you from Nik's fury. It had been such a natural instinct to protect you, I hadn't realized the damage until it was too late and you were gone."

"Are you seriously blaming that on the bond?" I ripped my hand away from his. Freya's words echoing in my head. 'There are ways to coerce those words'. What if that's what he was doing?! "Kol, you made the decision. Actively stopped me instead of helping. My sister, my twin, burned alive because you. Do you want to know why the hybrids were looking for your dad?" I didn't give him the chance to reply. It wasn't hard to guess the motivations behind the hybrids' choice.  "Because you and your family tore our lives to shreds. Caroline was the first tragedy in a long line of destruction. Your father is or was the only thing you all fear and we were all desperate. Your family makes people desperate."

His expression grew carefully blank. "So you did know of the plot to find my father."

"No. I didn't."

"Then how did they know? He is our best kept secret."

"I was tortured, remember? There were a lot of secrets spilled in that cabin. All I knew was that Hayley wanted to make Klaus pay and I thought that she was just releasing the hybrids from their freaky desire to serve Klaus. Apparently I was wrong."

He closed his eyes. "Do you know the damage my father would wreak if he were to ever be set loose? I need to you understand the gravity of it. Lest you go searching for the wretched man on your own."

"Doesn't he just want to kill Klaus?" Better to let him think I didn't know as much as I did.

He won't expect the betrayal.

"He would burn entire cities to ash, slaughter millions. The man has no concept of what's right or wrong, all he knows is to cause as much pain as he can. His vampire nature only amplified his desire for blood. He was free at the very beginning, and he hunted us all for centuries. It took the four of us to subdue him long enough for a coven to cast a spell. He's a monster Drew."

A monster that can take care of the Mikaelsons once and for all. "I know."

"The first person he would come after, is you. You and Hope. Mikael would use the both of you to lure us out of hiding." Did he know? Had he found out?

No, he couldn't have. If he did, we'd be having a much different conversation. Were they willing to kill me too? In order to stay away from Mikael?

"Kol, let's be realistic. The only reason I'm even here is because of the mark on my wrist. Could you honestly say that had we not been bound by fate that you would have any interest in me? I'm not so sure I would've gone for you. Especially with your family's history." Josh brought up a really good point. "I want the freedom to choose you, not have it be some kind of forced love."

"And I want to give that to you, I truly do, but it's just not the way it's been done. We are linked for eternity. If one of us were to cross to the other side, then the other would follow soon after."

"I don't know if I even want this. I had a dream when I was younger, that I would find the perfect person and settle down, but this, it's too much Kol. I've lost so many people in my life because I was attached to this family."

Before he could reply, there was a shout for Freya. Was that Klaus?

Kol and I ran to the balcony.

Klaus and Finn were carrying an unconscious Elijah.

"It was the witches."