Chapter 16

#TMLSubstitute16

R-18.

THE COLDNESS OF the night seeps through my skin as I ran back to the east palace. I almost couldn't see where I am going because my never-ending tears clouded my vision. But I know I couldn't stop. I don't want anybody to see me in my current state.

I just want to be alone.

Panay ang punas ko ng mga luha na tumutulo sa pisngi ko pababa. Hindi ko na alintana kung mamula man ang mata ko at pisngi ko dahil doon. I manage to get back to my room silently. Doon, pati hagulgol ay binuhos ko na.

Naghahanap pa ako ng movie na makakapagpatulog sa akin pero in the end, sa pag-iyak ko lang pala makukuha ang antok.

The following day, the servants woke me up and helped me get ready for breakfast. Kung nasa mansyon kami ni Legend, pwede akong magsuot lang ng shirt at cotton shorts pero kakaiba rito.

Luckily, no one questioned why my eyes are puffy. Nilagyan nila ng cold compress ang mata ko to lessen the swelling.

I'm wearing a white fitted long sleeves puff dress that ends up at the middle of my knee. They also prepared some pieces of jewelry in advance. My earring and necklace were all dainty looking.

"I greet Her Highness, the empress, Lady Regena Thania Beauregarde." I curtsied after and flashed them a smile. Siya lang ang binati ko dahil wala doon si Leneus.

"Good morning, Eloise. Have a seat," sambit ni Regena at ngumiti pabalik.

"Thank you, Mama." Tumingin ako sa paligid habang nilalagyan ng mga katulong ang plato namin ng pagkain. "Where is Papa?"

"Oh. He and Legend went to the training grounds to supervise the current state of the soldiers of the empire. It is strictly needed right now because of the upcoming Merrigalle," she answered as she took a bite of her food.

Napatigil ako sa paghihiwa ng pancake ko. "What is Merrigalle?"

She wiped her mouth and sipped some water before answering. "Merrigalle is our annual party before Christmas. Sa Pilipinas, Noche Buena ang tawag natin."

I nodded in realization and took a bite of my pancake. But I was startled by the next thing she said.

"Speaking of Merrigalle," panimula niya. "I want you to organize it this year."

Nabulunan ako bigla dahil doon. Nataranta ang mga katulong sa gilid ko, gano'n din si Regena. Kinumpas ko ang mga kamay ko at sumenyas na ayos lang ako.

"I'm sorry, Ma. What?" ani ko nang makabawi.

"You'll handle everything for this year's Merrigalle," she repeated.

Dumagundong ang kaba sa puso ko. That's too grand!

"Ma, can I decline?" kinakabahang tanong ko.

"Why?"

"I know I am already aware of the rules of being in a royal family and as a crown princess. But . . ." I trailed off. "This is too extreme for me. Wala pa po akong experience sa pag-o-organize ng party. Lalo na 'tong ganitong party. This is a party of the imperial palace."

She sighed and then put down her spoon and fork. "Eloise. I know that this is a big step for you. Pero para sa'yo rin 'to. You could familiarize yourself with the palace and how everything works here if you do it. And, all the people in the empire will see and experience the party organized by their future empress. Mas madali ka nilang makikilala kapag may ginawa ka para sa kanila."