Chapter 2) The ground

Y/N takes a breath. She still stands on the edge of the platform. Everyone else has run off, dancing in the woods and cheering. They're home.

She finally steps off. Hesitant at first. She takes a step. Then another. She smiles and spins around, laughing. She turns and makes eye contact with Bellamy who is eyeing her.

She raises her brow at him before looking away and grabbing a map from her bag. She turns and walks deeper into the woods. She stops at the top of a slope and looks down. She hears a twig snap and turns to find the boy from earlier. Finn. Clarke follows behind him.

"Why so serious, Princess? It's not like we died in a fiery explosion."

She rolls her eyes at the name.

"Try telling that to the two guys who tried to follow you out of their seats." Y/N replies still looking at the horizon.

"You don't like being called princess. Do you princess?"

She waves Clarke over and glances at the two. "Do you see that peak over there?" She asks pointing ahead of them.

"Yeah." Clarke says. Finn nods.

"Mount Weather. There's a radiation-soaked forest between us and our next meal. They dropped us on the wrong damn mountain."
————————————————————————
The three walk back to the ship where Wells stands near the door. "We got problems. The communications system is dead. I went to the roof. A dozen panels are missing. Heat fried the wires."

Y/N waves her hands dismissively. "Well, all that matters right now is getting to Mount Weather. See? Look. This is us. This is where we need to get to if we want to survive." She points at the map.

Wells looks impressed. "Where'd you learn to do that?"

There's a pause.

Clarke speaks. "Our father."

A boy with goggles on his head walks over to the tension filled group. "Ah, cool, a map. They got a bar in this town? I'll buy you a beer."

Wells puts his hand on the boys chest. "You mind?"

"Wells." Y/N warns, looking at the kid apologetically.

A mean looking kid walks up with two other boys behind him. Y/N recognizes him. John Murphy. His father was always in and out of medical. "Hey, hey, hey, hands off of him. He's with us."

Wells puts his hands up. "Relax. We're just trying to figure out where we are."

A crowd begins to form.

"We're on the ground. That not good enough for you?" Bellamy asks, arms crossed.

Wells rolls his eyes. "We need to find Mount Weather. You heard my father's message. That has to be our first priority."

Octavia stands next to her brother. "Screw your father. What, you think you're in charge here, you and your little Princess?" She asks mockingly, glancing at Y/N.

Clarke takes a step forward. "Do you think we care who's in charge? We need to get to Mount Weather not because the Chancellor said so, but because the longer we wait, the hungrier we'll get and the harder this'll be. How long do you think we'll last without those supplies?"

Y/N grabs Clarkes shoulder and pulls her back. She makes eye contact with Bellamy before speaking. "We're looking at a twenty-mile trek, okay? So if we want to get there before dark, we need to leave now."

Bellamy grins at that. "I got a better idea. You three go, find it for us. Let the privileged do the hard work for a change."

Some of the onlookers agree vocally at that.

Wells shakes his head. "You're not listening. We all need to go."

Murphy laughs. "Look at this, everybody... The Chancellor of Earth."

Wells cocks his head. "You think that's funny?"

He swings at Murphy, causing Clarke to call out.

Murphy kicks him and Wells falls to the dirt, injuring his leg. "No, but that was." Y/N glares at him.

The crowd gets bigger. People taunting. Wanting a fight.

Suddenly Finn jumps down from a section of the drop ship, in between the two feuding boys. "Kid's got one leg. How about you wait until it's a fair fight?"

Murphy rolls his eyes and walks away, followed by the other two.

Octavia looks at Finn with a smile. "Hey spacewalker! Rescue me next."
————————————————————————
A few minutes pass by and Y/N tends to Wells injured leg silently. Finn walks up to her with a bag.

"So Mount Weather. When do we leave?"

Clarke walks out of the drop ship holding her bag. "Right now." She looks at Wells who sits on the floor. "We'll be back tomorrow with food."

Wells stands, wincing as he does. "How are the three of you going to carry enough food for a hundred?"

Finn turns around and grabs the shoulders of two boys. One of them is the kid who spoke when the ship first landed. Monty. The other is the kid with the glasses. His name is Jasper. "Five of us. Can we go now?"

Octavia struts up. "Sounds like a party. Make it six."

Bellamy follows behind her, grabbing her wrist. "What the hell are you doing?"

She pulls her arm away. "Going for a walk."

Clarke looks at Finns wrist and notices scuff marks on his band. "Hey, were you trying to take this off?"

He shrugs. "Yeah. So?"

She rolls her eyes. "So this wristband transmits your vital signs to The Ark. Take it off, and they'll think you're dead."

Finn raises one brow. "Should I care?"

Y/N puts her pack on one shoulder. "Well, I don't know. Do you want the people you love to think you're dead? Do you want them to follow you down here in two months? Because they won't if they think we're dying."

Finn looks a little nervous. "Okay." He says after a moment.

"Now let's go." Y/N says, starting to walk off. She pauses and turns back to Wells who is staring at her. "You shouldn't have come here, Wells." She turns and leads the others.

Bellamy let's Octavia go with them and the six leave the drop site heading off into the woods.
————————————————————————