Chapter 28) Escape

Suddenly the walkie crackles and Millers voice echoes in the quiet room. "All gunners! We got movement outside the south wall!"

Bellamy sighs and breaks the kiss. He touches his forehead to hers. "Why can't we have one normal minute around here?"

She smiles. "Let's go."

They walk outside where a crowd has formed near the gate. Suddenly Miller shouts again. "Wait! It's Clarke and Finn! Open the gates!"

Y/N's breath hitches in her throat as the gate opens to reveal her sister. She walks to her as quick as she can without straining her wound and hugs her. "Clarke." She says.

The blonde hugs her back but then pulls away. "We heard an explosion. What happened?"

Y/N sighs, pointing at her side. "Murphy happened."

Jasper walks up to them. "Thank god! Where have you been? Where's Monty?"

Clarke tilts her head. "Monty's gone?"

Y/N furrows her brows. "You didn't know?"

Before she can respond, Finn cuts her off. "Clarke, we need to leave, now. All of us do. There's an army of grounders, unlike anything we've ever seen, coming for us right now. We need to pack what we can and run."

Y/N takes a step back. Bellamy crosses his arms. "Like hell we do. We knew this was coming."

Y/N touches his arm. "Bell, we aren't prepared."

"And they're not here yet. We still have time to get ready. Besides, where would we go? Where would we be safer than behind these walls?" Bellamy says.

Finn speaks up. "There's an ocean to the east. People there will help us."

Octavia's mouth opens slightly. "You saw Lincoln."

Bellamy scoffs. "You expect us to trust a grounder? This is our home now. We built this from nothing with our bare hands! Our dead are buried behind that wall in this ground! Our ground! The grounders think they can take that away. They think that because we came from the sky, we don't belong here. But they're yet to realize one very important fact: We are on the ground now, and that means we are grounders!"

Y/N sighs. "Bellamy's right. If we leave, we may never find a place as safe as this. And god knows, in this world, we could be faced with something even worse tomorrow. But that doesn't change the simple fact that if we stay here, we will die tonight. So pack your things. Just take what you can carry, now."

The delinquents nod and start to gather their things. Bellamy just shakes his head when suddenly a groan can be heard coming from near the drop ship.

"Help me."

It's Raven. Y/N rushes to her side. Raven is holding onto her hip. She's bleeding.

Bellamy looks at Clarke and Finn. "Murphy shot her too."

Clarke points to a few kids. "Get her on the drop ship."

Bellamy gently grabs Y/N's arm. "Y/N, leaving here is a mistake."

"We have to, Bell."

He nods, saying nothing.
————————————————————————
Y/N holds the hot metal knife against Ravens wound. Unlike her own, the bullet entered Ravens body. Raven screams at the contact.

"That should stop the external bleeding."

Finn shakes his head. "I don't understand. How did Murphy get a gun?"

Bellamy sighs. "Long story."

Raven inhales sharply. "We got lucky. If Murphy hit the fuel tank instead of me, we'd all be dead."

"Wait, there's rocket fuel down there? Enough to build a bomb?" Y/N asks.

Raven nods. "Enough to build 100 bombs... if we had any gunpowder left."

Bellamy waves his hand. "Let's get back to the reapers. Maybe they'll help us. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, right?"

Clarke shakes her head. "Not this enemy."

Finn agrees. "We saw them. Trust me, it's not an option."

"There's no time for this." Clarke says.

Finn sighs. "Can she walk or not?"

"No. We'll have to carry her." Y/N replies.

Raven scoffs. "Like hell you will. I'm good to go." She tries sitting up but falls back against the cot with a wince.

Y/N gently touches her arm. "Hey, listen to me. That bullet is still inside you. If by some miracle, there's no internal bleeding, it might hold until we get somewhere safe. But you are not walking there. Is that clear?"

Raven nods hesitantly. Finn stands. "I'll get the stretcher."

Bellamy crosses his arms. "Can't run away fast enough, huh? Real brave."

Finn rolls his eyes. "Dying in a fight you can't win isn't brave, Bellamy, it's stupid."

"Spoken like every coward who's ever run from a fight."

Y/N stands in between the two fuming men. "Okay! That's enough. It's time to go."

Bellamy diverts his gaze from Finn, his tone softening slightly. "What if they follow? It's a 120-mile walk to the ocean."

Finn cuts her off before she can speak. "Look, we're wasting time. If he wants to stay, he can stay."

Clarke shakes her head. "No he can't."

Y/N nods in agreement with her sister. "We can't do this without you Bellamy." She lowers her voice a bit. "I can't do this without you."

Clarke and Finn exchange looks but say nothing as Bellamy uncrosses his arms.

"What do you want me to say, Y/N?"

"I want you to say that you're with us... With me. Believe it or not, those kids out there listen to you." She says, her eyes pleading.

He bites his lip as he thinks. "They're lining up to leave. They listen to you more."

Y/N sighs. "You inspire them. Just minutes ago they were ready to fight and die for you."

He gently grabs her hand with his. "For us."

There's a pause and he lets out a breath. "Okay. I'll pack my things."

She smiles as he walks out of the drop ship. She turns back to Clarke and Finn who stare at her with odd expressions.

She nearly laughs at their faces. "What?"

Finn raises a brow at her and Clarke holds up her hands with a small smile.

The king following the princess. What a sight.
————————————————————————