Chapter 16) Trip

Several minutes later, Finn has received the antidote. Octavia too. Raven leaves to get him water for when he wakes up.

Clarke and Y/N sit quietly next to Finn.

The radio suddenly cracks. It's Abby. "Hello? Y/N? Clarke? Can you hear me? Hello?"

Y/N looks up. "We're here."

"Oh thank god. The um... the storm is passing. How's Finn doing?"

Clarke glances at him. "I think he'll be okay."

"Well that's thanks to you. I'm so proud of you both. Your father would be so proud of you girls."

Y/N rolls her eyes, standing up. "Don't talk about him."

Abby pauses. "Honey. I know you. I know something else is wrong."

Clarke sniffs. "Dad is dead because of you. You turned him in."

Y/N's eyes fill with tears but they don't fall. "Wells told me everything before- He let us believe that he did it. So that we'd hate him instead of you."

Abby's voice cracks with emotion. "This was never supposed to happen. Jaha was supposed to talk him out of it."

Y/N walks over the the radio. "I'm done talking to you." She hits a few buttons and turns the signal off.
————————————————————————
Y/N climbs to the third floor to find Octavia alone with the Grounder. She brings a damp cloth.

Y/N approaches the man and slowly removes the knife. She tries cleaning his hand but he closes his fist. "I need to clean this, or it'll get infected."

He looks at her. She sighs. Octavia takes the cloth from her. "Let me try."

Y/N steps back. "Octavia... i'm really sorry. I never wanted to hurt him. I just... we needed to try. I'm sorry."

She purses her lips. "I know... you're welcome by the way."

Y/N huffs out a laugh. "I'll um.. leave you two alone then."
————————————————————————
Once the storm has passed, Y/N stands on the ramp of the drop ship watching the teens pick up debris. Bellamy walks up to her. She glances at him. "I wish this was our only mess."

"Who we are and who we need to be to survive are two very different things." He says.

She sighs. "What are we gonna do with him? We can't keep him locked up forever."

He looks at her. "If we let him go, he'll be back and not alone next time. Not easy being in charge is it?"
————————————————————————
The next day started to look up. Contact with the Ark was blooming. They have video chat now, allowing the kids to talk to their parents up in space.

A scavenger party went out and found some nuts for food. Rationing is taking place so that they'll have enough food to last them through the colder weather.

Y/N and Clarke sit in a tent across a screen. Jaha and the other council members can be seen on the other side.

"Tell me about the Grounder. Can he provide any insight on how to survive winter?" Jaha asks.

"We're doing everything we can to prepare here. We're gathering nuts and berries, curing meats, digging for roots, but the truth is, we'll freeze before we starve." Y/N replies.

Councillor Kane speaks up. "There's good news on that front. According to civil defense plans from before the war, there's an old emergency aid depot not far from the landing site. Here are the coordinates." He shows them a virtual map, to which Y/N writes down.