Chapter 20) Backup

Clarke, Y/N, and Finn walk through the woods to the meeting place that the Grounder Lincoln set up.

Clarke sighs, looking over at Finn. "I'd love it if you were right about this, but did you ever consider it might be a trap?"

Finn shrugs. "Yep, but since it's Unity Day, I decided to have hope instead."

Y/N shakes her head at him. "You're putting a lot of faith into someone who stuck a knife in you."

"And you're sounding more and more like Bellamy." He says.

She rolls her eyes. "I'm just trying to keep us alive."

He glances at her. "So am I."

Clarke and Finn walk ahead and Y/N slowly reaches into her pocket, pulling out a handful of jobi nuts. The food that caused the hallucinations back at camp and the supply depot. She drops a couple onto the dirt, glancing behind her.

Bellamy, Raven, and Jasper all follow the trio quietly, with guns. Y/N couldn't take any chances.

They get to the meeting spot. It's a bridge. Octavia is standing on the bridge, alone. Lincoln comes through the trees and the two embrace, tenderly,

Y/N has the smallest hint of a smile on her face. "So that's how you set this up." She says glancing at Finn.

Y/N realizes that Octavia let the Grounder go. They obviously have some form of a relationship. Bellamy probably isn't going to be too happy about that.

Rustling comes from the other side of the woods, across the bridge. Suddenly a few masked men on horses come through the trees. A woman with heavy eye makeup is also with them.

"Hey." Finn starts. "We said no weapons." The Grounders on the horses are holding various knives and spears.

Lincoln looks confused. "I was told there wouldn't be."

Y/N sighs. "It's too late now."

She takes a step forward and Clarke tries to follow her but Lincoln holds out his arm to block the blonde. "She goes alone."

Y/N turns back to face her sister. "I'll be fine." She glances at the others standing on the bridge. "It's time to do better."

She slowly walks to the center of the bridge to be met with the woman.

"Your name is Y/N?"

"Yes."

"I'm Anya."

Y/N nods slightly. "I think we got off to a rough start, but we want to find a way to live together in peace."

The woman named Anya eyes her. "I understand. You started a war that you don't know how to end."

Y/N wrinkles her face. "What? A war? No, your people attacked us."

"My people attacked because the missiles you launched burned a village to the ground." She says, anger lacing her voice.

Y/N tilts her head. "The flares? No. That was a signal meant for our families. We had no idea-"

Anya cuts her off. "You're invaders. Your ship landed in our territory."

"We didn't know anyone was here. We thought the ground was uninhabited." Y/N says, trying to calm herself down. It's like talking to a brick wall.

"You knew we were here when you sent an armed raiding party to capture one of us and torture him. These are all acts of war." Anya says crossing her arms.

Y/N takes a deep breath, nodding. "I see your point. That's why we need to put an end to all of this."

"Lincoln said there are more of you coming down, warriors."

"The guard, yes, but also farmers, doctors, engineers. We can help each other but not if we're at war."

Anya uncrosses her arms. "Can you promise that these new arrivals won't attack us, that they'll respect the terms you and I agree on?"

Y/N thinks for a moment. Yes, her mother is on the council and has authority, but who's to say the people of the Ark will agree. Especially after having lost some of their children at the hands of the Grounders. "I promise I will do everything I can to convince them to honor the terms that we set."

Anya narrows her eyes. "Why would I agree to an alliance that your people can break the moment they get here?"

Down below the bridge, at the foot of the trees, are Jasper, Bellamy, and Raven. Their guns are aimed at the Grounders in case an agreement isn't reached.

Raven glances at Anya. "Grounder princess looks pissed."

Bellamy huffs. "Our princess has that effect."

Y/N purses her lips. "If you fire the first shot, those people coming down won't bother negotiating. Our technology- They will wipe you out."

Anya cracks her neck. "They wouldn't be the first to try."

Y/N goes to say something when suddenly Jasper runs out of hiding, while screaming. "They're gonna shoot! Y/N, run! Run!" He starts shooting into the woods on the other side of the bridge.

She glances up and notices several Grounders in the trees, holding bows and spears. She quickly backs away as Anya attempts to cut her with her weapon. Bellamy shoots the woman in the arm, causing her to back off.

Y/N drops to the ground as arrows rain down. Clarke grabs her arm and they start retreating off the bridge. The gunshots still going off.

Before getting back on her horse, Anya launches one final arrow towards Y/N and her people. Lincoln steps in front of Octavia, the arrow piercing his shoulder.

Octavia shouts. "Lincoln! You've been hit."

He groans and pushes Octavia towards Y/N. "It's just a scratch. Okay. Run! Don't stop till you get behind your walls. Go! Take her!"

Y/N grabs Octavia and starts to run back the way they came, Octavia screaming for Lincoln. Finn and Clarke lead the way. Bellamy, Jasper and Raven all retreat as well.

The seven of them sprint back to camp and pause once they reach the gate.

Bellamy puts his hands on his knees, looking to Finn. "You got anything to say?"

Finn coughs. "Yeah. I told you no guns!"

Clarke shakes her head. "I told you we couldn't trust the Grounders. I was right."

Raven grabs Finns jacket sleeve. "Why didn't you tell me what you were up to?"

He scoffs at her. "I tried, but you were too busy making bullets for your gun."

Y/N rolls her eyes. "You're lucky she brought that! They went there to kill us, Finn."

He gets in her face. "You don't know that! Jasper fired the first shot!"

Octavia shakes her head at Jasper. "You've ruined everything."

"I saved you! You're welcome." He calls after her as she walks into camp.

Finn takes a breath. "Well, if we weren't at war already, we sure as hell are now. You didn't have to trust the Grounders. You just had to trust me."

With that, Finn, Clarke and Jasper walk back into camp, followed by Raven.

Now Bellamy and Y/N stand silently. He looks at her. "Like I said. Best Unity Day ever."

Suddenly a boom can be heard from the sky. They look up to see something falling to the ground. "The Exodus ship?" She whispers.

He smiles at her slightly. "Your moms early."

"Wait. Too fast. No parachute? Something's wrong." Y/N says watching as the ship crashes to the ground in the distance, creating a large mushroom cloud in the sky.

"Oh god." She drops to her knees as she watches the flames and smoke rise into the cool night air.

Bellamy crouches down with her and holds his body around her as she starts to cry into his arms.

Her mother is dead.
————————————————————————