Chapter 31 - Skullbreaker

My heart pounds in my chest as I part ways with Rose for now, pacing down the murky corridor in the opposite direction from her. Jun's room is only the next door along, so I grip the door's cold handle and barge in.

In the absence of any form of decoration whatsoever, Jun's room in this place is somehow even bleaker than Rose's. But alone on the basic single bed in the room is Lillie, just as I'd hoped. Both of her wrists are tied to the bed posts, her long, golden ponytail flowing loosely down over her shoulder. Her head flicks up immediately as I swing open the door. She stares at me with wide eyes, her surprised expression overflowing with relief.

"Sun!"

I rush over to her, not wasting a second in gently laying a hand against her side. "Ah, Lillie..." I whisper her name in an overjoyed breath which transitions into a slight chuckle. "Sorry that getting to you took so long. Are you okay? Are you hurt at all?"

A tinge of concern dances in my eyes as they check her over for any signs of injury, but the tension leaves me completely when I see her sweet, smiling face.

"No, I'm fine! Just... a bit stuck," she answers, glancing up at her wrists which are tethered to the bed.

"Ah, right..."

My hands fumble around the rope, carefully unfastening it around her wrists. If Rose was the one that tied her up too, then I'm kind of impressed - that girl certainly knows how to tie a good knot. Lillie sits up as I free her, squeezing her eyes shut while she stretches out her arms.

"Haaah, thanks. I was-"

I interrupt her without sparing a moment as my hands land gently against Lillie's cheeks and I press my lips up against hers. My girlfriend's glistening eyes spring open in surprise at first, before she eases into the kiss and wraps her now-freed arms around me. She gladly pushes against me as the room is filled with the sound of delicate kissing - although we probably shouldn't be doing this in Jun's room. After a few more seconds, I pull my head away again quickly.

"You were saying?"

Lillie pants quietly for breath as her bright green eyes stare into mine. Her hot lips slide up into a smirk, a slight blush creeping onto her cheeks.

"Hey... I was going to do that," she complains. Her hands fall down to my chest, pressing gently against it. "Um... what about you though, are you okay? Those cuts on your cheeks from earlier... there's still blood on your face," she murmurs worriedly.

I lay a hand on top of hers, squeezing her fingers with care. "I'm fine Lil, really. There's no time for me to clean myself up. What happened after you were captured?" I ask urgently.

Lillie's hands slip away from mine as she turns to grab her pink bag from atop a nearby chair. "Well, nothing really... When I woke up, I was tied up here. Rose was in the room too. All she told me was that she was sorry and that she had to keep an eye on me," she explains. "After that, I couldn't do much except try to get free. What happened with you, though? What did I miss?"

I catch myself pondering my words carefully. "Uh... a lot," I answer bluntly. "I had a long chat with Rose. Turns out, you were right about the Ultra Beast thing. To make a long story short, she brought us here so we can help her stop Team Skull."

Lillie stares at me, her face cycling through a mix of different emotions. "I-I see," she says slowly.

Without giving her time to process everything I just said, I grab hold of her hand and start towards the door. "There's no time to lose, c'mon!"

"I- uh, right," Lillie stammers, stumbling along behind me.

The slamming of our footsteps echoes throughout the corridor as we dash back to the main room. Up ahead is Rose. She stands alone, facing off against Kane and the team of bandits gathered around the large, cluttered space. The situation looks heated.