Chapter 3 - Family Again

"Sun..." Dad whispers, his eyes beginning to tear up as he sees his son for the first time in years. "It's only been... what, six years?" he laughs softly, in an attempt to stifle some tears. His voice quivers with emotion as he embraces me in a warm, father-to-son hug. Such a familiar feeling... not quite like the feeling of hugging Lillie, or even Mom, this is a feeling I only ever remember from when I was small. And a feeling that I never thought I'd feel again, I guess. There are tears streaming down both of our faces, and I'm unsure of what really to say. He holds me by the shoulders out at arms length again, studying the face that has grown up a lot since the last time he saw it.
"Look at you! A new home in the Alola Region, new friends and now a Pokémon League Champion!? How much have you grown up since Kanto, huh?" He laughs, sniffing to stop the tears.
"I guess I was just determined to follow in your footsteps," I laugh, flicking a tear out of my eye. Dad's position as the Indigo League Champion may have forced him to stay behind in Kanto as me and Mom moved to Alola, but that only encouraged me more to be more like him. Mom approaches from behind me, struggling to hold back her tears, too.
"Welcome home, honey," Mom smiles. Dad smiles too, a big, happy smile to mimic Mom's. With nothing needing to be said, they embrace in a hug, Mom letting her tears soak into dad's shoulder. I smile, and quietly close the front door behind us to keep the cold out, and I sit down next to Lillie on the sofa, who's quietly keeping to herself. She too wears an expression of astonishment, though she smiles at me as I sit next to her.
"Oh! We have to introduce you to someone," Mom giggles, turning back to Lillie and I.
"Y-yeah! Dad, this is Lillie, Lillie, this is Dad," I laugh.
"Oh! I'm sorry, Lillie, I didn't even notice you there! But... oh? Could it be...? You're..." Dad wonders quietly, connecting the dots.
"Ah, Sun's girlfriend? Y-Yes, that's me, It's an honour to meet you!" Lillie introduces herself shyly.
"I see! Well, it's a pleasure to meet you too, Lillie!" Dad replies with a smile, shaking her hand. "Sun, I just assumed that your mother was trying to pull my leg when she told me you have a girlfriend," he jokes.
"Oh come on Dad, you don't think I'm that unattractive, do you?"
"Pfha, of course not. You have my genes after all," he chuckles. It's good to see that his overall non-serious and joking personality hasn't dulled a single bit. "It's just... strange, to see you so grown up," he mutters, tilting his head down and shedding another tear. Classic Dad. Tough and rugged in appearance, as soft as a marshmallow on the inside. "Hey, and what a lucky guy you are, huh?" He teases, giving me a wink.
"Alright dad, alright, we get it," I mutter, blushing. Lillie just laughs, turning her head slightly to hide her reddening cheeks.
"Oh, but we have so much to catch up on! I assumed you may be hungry when you arrived, so I left some pancakes for you," Mom explains, gesturing to the pancakes that she deliberately left for Dad.
"Awesome, thanks honey. Aw, I can't wait to hear all about your adventures in Alola!" Dad exclaims.
"Phew... where do we start?"

A few minutes later, Lillie, Mom, Dad, and I are sat around the table, Lillie and I telling Dad all the stories of our adventures around Alola. We tell him all about my island challenge and the trials, about the islands and their respective guardians, about Ultra Space, about the Aether Foundation, about Team Skull...
"And that night was amazing. Everyone was so happy, and the fireworks were beautiful... Lillie and I even snuck over to the Ruins of Conflict, that's where I caught Tapu Koko," I explain. "But then there was the next day..."
"The day I left for Kanto..." Lillie murmurs.
"You visited Kanto, Lillie? We could have had a great battle sometime," Dad laughs.
"That would've been fun, but I'm sure my Pokémon are no where near as strong as yours," Lillie replies kindly.
"Wait, so let me get this straight... when Lillie left to Kanto, you two weren't in a relationship?" Dad asks, confused.
"That's right. I was there for... Hm, about a year, maybe a bit less?"
"Ahh, I see. How long have you been back in Alola for then, Lillie?"
"I came home a few months ago. Me and Sun spent a lot of time together when I arrived back, so it didn't take long for us to begin our relationship. And then, well, I've been staying here with Sun ever since," Lillie explains, summing up the last few months.
"Well... then there's all the crazy adventures we've had in the last few months alone," I add. I scratch the back of my head slowly, trying to think of how to phrase the fact that I almost died a couple of times. "Those were, uh... wild."
"Tell me all about them," Dad says eagerly. Lillie and I tell him about the incident in Ultra Space not long ago.