Chapter 21 - Hero's Respite

Lillie and I continue nibbling at each other's lips for minutes. Admittedly, I don't feel like I have the energy in me to further the intensity in the way I kiss her, but honestly, I'm just happy with this.

Our lips gradually pull away at last, our grips on each other loosening, though Lillie leans back into me to peck my lips a couple of times before we really put the kiss to an end. The comfort of my bed embraces me as Lillie returns to her former position, wiggling herself out from under the covers and instead sitting on the side of the bed. Although my eyelids remain closed, I feel Lillie looking at me inquisitively. She watches me laying face-up beneath the covers of the bed, the expression on my face showing something between peace and exhaustion.
"Hey," she pipes up softly.
There's a pause before I respond. Seems like I'm too tired to keep up.
"Huh? I'm awake," I insist, though my motionless body, sprawled out arms and closed eyes might suggest otherwise. Lillie giggles, leaning slightly closer.
"I love you," she says.
The corners of my lips perk up into a light smile. "I love you too," I mumble.

I sense the shift in tension within the mattress as Lillie stands up again. Hearing the soft tapping of her footsteps against the wooden floor, I sleepily open one eye.
"Hey, I wasn't asking you to leave," I complain huskily.
Lillie stops. "Oh, I thought you were ready to fall asleep," she replies. "You really should rest..."
She crouches down beside me, her folded arms sitting on the bed and her head resting upon her arms. Her peaceful eyes gaze across at mine.
"I mean, it's still early..." I mumble as my eyelids drift closed again. I don't know why I have such a hard time simply admitting that I'm tired. Really... tired. Fortunately however, Lillie seems to see right through me. I'm glad she knows my limits, because I sure don't.
"Nope. You're tired and you need to rest, Sun."
She's right, and we both know it. Lillie holds my hand as my eyes open slightly to meet her firm look. "I can take care of things this evening," she adds confidently. As she says that, my dusk-form Lycanroc, Delta, prowls in again curiously to check up on me. He nuzzles his head affectionately against Lillie's side, a gesture that prompts Lillie to rub the wolf's fur in response. "Besides, I've got all our Pokémon with me."
I squeeze her hand lightly, relaxing against my warm bed. "Alright, if you insist... then I guess I'll take it easy for a while," I say. I try to speak at the usual volume, but the words come out quiet.
Lillie smiles, stroking a few fingers through my hair soothingly. "Good boy," she says playfully.

I grin back at her. "What about you, though? Are you staying here for the rest of the evening, or...?"
Lillie sighs, her eyes shifting to the side slightly. "Well, I want to go back to Hau and the Professor, because I just think I should update them on what exactly happened to you. I just..." she pauses, looking back into my eyes apprehensively. "I just don't want to leave your side. Even for a short while."
I rub my thumb gently over the side of her hand. "It's okay, really. My Pokémon are here to keep an eye on me anyway, right?"
"Hmmm..." Lillie considers. "I guess they are."
She reluctantly lets go of my hand, our fingers sliding off of each other's gradually until they're separated again. My arm drops limply onto the bed as Lillie stands back up. "But I have my phone with me, okay? So if you need anything at all, just let me know and I'll come right back," she smiles sweetly. "Okay?"
My heart skips a beat when I see that stunning smile of hers.
"Okay. Thanks, Lil."

As I turn over and get myself into a slightly comfier position, Delta lets out a short whimper and scrambles up onto the end of the bed, where he promptly curls up and makes himself comfortable on the duvet.
"Well, it seems Delta will keep you company until I'm back," Lillie giggles. "I won't be long. Sleep well, Sun."
On that note, Lillie carefully leans over and lays a loving kiss on my forehead. Without saying anything, I smile comfortably in response to the feeling of her soft lips against me as a noticeable blush creeps onto my cheeks. My whole body is wrapped in a pleasant warmth now, and the crisp bedsheets and pillows cushion my body in just the right way. I feel that rare pinnacle of calmness, the kind of overpowering bliss that I see in my memories sometimes; where I'm laying on the lonely, serene shores of Poni Island, the sunlight washing over me like ocean waves over the sand. Every breath I take seems to bring those memories closer. Every moment that goes by makes the sunlight feel warmer, and the distant sounds of gentle, crashing waves seem clearer.