Chapter 5 - Hunting Shadows

Heavy rain falls from the apocalyptic grey clouds above us, as I pursue the two targets on Tauros. I'm only a few metres behind them, but they take sudden and unexpected turns at random intervals, so it's a nightmare trying to track them through the city. A bright strike of lightning that hits nearby illuminates the shady figures ahead of me, exposing their dark clothing and emo-style purple hair.
"Come on Tauros, we just need a little more speed! You can do it," I say, enthusiastically petting the large creature of which I am mounted on. Another strike of lighting suddenly crashes down upon a lamppost in front of me, which falls and smashes against the ground, knocking me off of my Tauros. I yelp in surprise as I'm flung through the air, before landing with a splash in a large puddle. I cough, and lie on the ground in pain. I manage to look up, just to catch a last-minute glimpse of my two targets escaping off into the city. I sigh, as I slowly push myself up onto my feet. The rain continues to soak me, although I'm already soaked to the bone. My soggy hair flops down in front of my eyes, and with a sigh, I clench my fist, accepting defeat yet again.

Panting quietly, I sit up quickly in bed... and I sigh in relief. It was just another dream. Embracing the silence of the world, I slowly lay back down in bed. I'm no longer soaking wet. I'm no longer cold. I'm laying in a warm, comfortable bed with Lillie nuzzled into my side, my arm wrapped around her as she sleeps peacefully. The warm rays of the sun beam through the window of Lillie's bedroom, pleasantly illuminating the room.
"Good morning," Lillie says softly and quietly. I gasp, not knowing that she was awake. She gazes into my eyes with a gentle smile, the bed covers up to her waist. I flash a smile back at her, and turn in bed to face her. I gently run my hand through her golden hair.
"Good morning," I reply. She edges closer to me, resting her head against my shoulder.
"Were you having nightmares again last night?" She asks worriedly. The way her head is slightly tilted is Lillie's iconic body language to show that she's a bit curious. I nod, closing my eyes again.
"Yeah. How did you know?"
"Heehee, you just move a lot in your sleep," she giggles.
"Oh... S-sorry if I woke you up last night," I apologise clumsily.
"It's okay. You did wake me up once in the night, and I was worried about you... but the sky was so full of stars... it was beautiful," she moans with a yawn, stretching her arms out to the sky. She starts giggling suddenly.
"What's up?" I ask with an amused smile.
"Heehee, it's just... hee..." she continues cutely giggling to herself. I can't help but smile with her. I tickle her shoulder lightly.
"Come on, what's so funny?" I smile.
"It's you... even when you're asleep, you still love hugs you cutie," she laughs.
"What do you mean?"
"I was worried about you having nightmares, so... I just began to hug you gently, and then you began sleeping soundly," she explains.
"Huh. Well, you know me. I'll always accept free hugs," I laugh, getting comfortable in bed again. Lillie wraps her arms around me as we lay side by side, and she closes her eyes. Lillie's bed is amazingly comfortable. Her whole room is considerably tidy and clean, which is surprising as she lives with me nearly all the time now. The sunlight bounces off the walls, before finding it's way onto Lillie's golden hair as we cuddle with eachother under the covers. My watch shows me that it's 9:17 am and time to get up, and I'm particularly eager to get back outside today. After all, I've got a race planned with Dad, but more importantly, some edgy criminals to find... they seriously aren't leaving my mind. I don't know exactly how, but I just know that they're up to something worse than it seems.
"Ready to get up now, Lil?"
She smiles, still laying on the bed with her limbs outstretched across the bed.
"Ahhh, do we have to?" She jokes with a gentle yawn. I swiftly roll over on top of her and lay a fleeting kiss upon her lips, before rolling off of her and out of bed.
"Sure, take as long as you need to get up. Is it okay if I go and have a shower?" I ask.
"Of course, the bathroom is just on the left as you leave the bedroom," Lillie instructs.
I nod, stretching my arms in a forward motion. My whole body is feeling a lot better than usual this morning, for some reason. I thank my girlfriend before exiting the room, turning left to the bathroom as she said.