03 | zoey - special (one millionth)

track #01 in zoey skye sinclair

twice // one in a million

THEY TELL ME that I am one in a million, that I am special, and that they'll never leave me until the day death separates us permanently.

That has proved to be true, at least until now, but once I see the sudden pain Gwyneth is going through after her dad had been kidnapped, it's like a piece of my own heart was cut away; I could never stand anything happening to her dad.

Gwyn loves her dad. Even when we were still toddlers, I had never doubted it.

It was summertime, and our parents had organized a meetup for Gwyneth, Kunboss and I; in pictures, I always see Gwyneth clinging onto her dad; and Kun and I just stand there looking sad that our best friend was 'neglecting' us. Now that I look back at the old photo album, I chuckle and show a bitter smile.

So I started doubting their words, and started thinking that the world could be ripped away from me any day.

The childhood doodles and drawings. Just that tiny bit of innocence I've managed to retain after the Hunger Games. One action, one wrong step, and it's all gone.

The love between one another, the relationships. Every single word we've said to each other was built upon the truth; our mutual trust; and the best we wanted for each other. Just one lie, one person's interfering, would be enough to break years of solid friendship apart.

I flop onto my soft fluffy bed, already changed into my favourite fluffy cat pajamas. Gwyneth, Eunice and I have matching sets – Gwyn has the bear print, and Eunice has the giraffe. We joke that I've got the smallest and tamest animal out of the three of us, but I'm the cheekiest rulebreaker, and I do agree.

We always gather in one of our rooms and have a 'sleepover' on our school off days, but obviously Gwyneth wouldn't be in the mood to do so today. I don't want to overthink anymore, so I lay on my bed staring at the star projections on the ceiling, trying to clear my mind and remember that no one will ever leave me, and that I'm special. Always.

But instead as I doze off slowly, counting each sheep that jumped over the wooden gate, what I get is far from internal peace and quiet.

I dream of Aurore launching an attack on the Adelaide Woods, its former ally against Rochbok. I dream of now twenty-year-old Natalia Riggs commanding an army to charge.

I dream of the armies holding Gwyneth captive on that fearful execution stand that I never want to remember; I dream of them sacrificing countless innocent soldiers on the battlefield.

I no longer fear my death; but rather the people controlling our lives. I'm no longer scared that the Hunger Games or even Byrok will kill me; but instead terrified of how controlled and small we are under the governments.