10 | aiden - time ran out

track #02 in aiden rhys langston

rosé // gone

I HEAD to the bank in the morning with all but a heavy heart, ready to meet my girlfriend Anson after yesterday's fight and relieve myself of my troubles. Anson is the person who would understand me no matter what – unlike other people, she'd actually listen to me rant first before telling me what she thought.

Anson is the light of my life – I knew that for sure even more than a decade ago. Every day, I'd go to school just to see her bright, elegant smile and her bouncy wavy hair as she bounced down the hallway. That infectious giggle was something I'd give anything to see, even as a eight-year-old. She was why I wanted to go to school in the first place – not for my friends, not for the teachers, and definitely not for the subjects we were studying. I'd sit through hour-long lectures to stare at her from afar at lunch.

I knew I was a goner when I saw her for the first time – but that didn't stop me from falling into infatuation, then love, with her. I knew she would say no the first time I confessed to her at twelve, but her friends had come and pulled us apart before she could give an answer. I told her I loved her at thirteen in the Hunger Games, but she had been killed even before she could utter one word.

I kept courting and pursuing her – I tried again at fourteen, then fifteen. I waited for her – and finally, at age sixteen, she gave me the answer I was looking forward to.

***

"Yes," she yelled. "Yes, yes, a million times yes!"

Both our faces radiated light in glory and pride – I, happy that my long-term crush had now become my girlfriend – and she, smiling.

I pulled her in for a short kiss – my lips tingled and the feeling of her soft lips on mine lingered for the whole day. I beamed in happiness – I guess you could say that was the best day of my life. It was like honey.

We spent the rest of the day after dismissal taking a walk by the lake, watching the iridescent water reflect the peachy orange in the sunset. I saw my face radiating happiness in the sun that day. It was simply surreal. Hand in hand, we were walking towards our shared future.

From then on, I was never alone in a fight; she was always here for me, no matter emotionally or logically. I never doubted my decision to confess, even though I still wasn't sure if she'd say yes until she said the word herself.

I asked her to prom. I told her that I loved her. I meant every single word – and so did she. If you were able to see us that day, you'd say we were really, truly, in love. She was – and is – my partner in battle, and the only person I'll ever look at that way for my entire life.