19 | tristan - watching in the stars

track #03 in tristan william hale

taylor swift // starlight

AS THE day progresses, I meet up with Ava again at the café, where we work in peace.

"You should connect your phone to my database," I say. "It's safer this way. Atlas taught me."

Ava nods and hands me her phone before turning back to her laptop, still trying to enter Byrok's system.

I take one look at my twin sister's accidentally unlocked phone and frown.

avaisthebetterhale: jason what's going on? you've been acting weird lately. please don't tell me that it's that.

jazon_nick: what do you mean?

avaisthebetterhale: stop pretending.

jazon_nick: WHAT?

avaisthebetterhale: are you cheating on me?

jazon_nick: of course not, i love you baby

avaisthebetterhale: i can't believe you jason, and i can't believe myself too. i know what you're doing.

jazon_nick: no-

avaisthebetterhale: i don't want any explanations. get the heck away from me.

jazon_nick: it's not like that

avaisthebetterhale: go away jason. bye.

jazon_nick: i'm not cheating i promise ily remember?

read by avaisthebetterhale.

I inadvertently let out a gasp; Ava turns to me and snatches the phone out of my hands, staring wide-eyed at the still open Instagram chat.

"He's cheating on you?"

"Why are you snooping into others' business?" my sister snaps, no sign of pain evident in her eyes. "I opened it so you could connect it to your stupid database, not so you could read into my messages. Looks like it's all an excuse."

My eyebrows narrow in rage. "Excuse me? Firstly, why didn't you even tell me about this? Secondly, I didn't even mean to. I'll connect it to the database now. It's for your own good, Va."

She shakes her head, putting her phone deep into her purse. "Nuh-uh. You two are the same – cheating, stupid bastards."

"Byrok, Ava. Byrok. If you don't connect it to the World Database, they'll track us," I say desperately, just hoping my sister will have some common sense.

My sister takes a sip of her frappuccino and puckers her lips. "Not taking any more of your nonsense, Tristan. All an excuse."

I give up. Ava's always been like this – she won't back down whenever she thinks she's right. I let out a sigh of defeat and sink deep into my chair, continuing to type on my keyboard.