16 | cadence - a better place

track #03 in cadence aurora di angelo

enhypen // attention please

I AVOID Kunboss' beckoning glance at the breakfast table, averting my eyes away from his.

He's making an effort to try talking to us – but why bother when he knows exactly how we all feel towards him?

Why must he deliberately make life so hard? He hurts our feelings and almost destroys our plan; yet has the guts to come back asking for us to listen to his explanation?

There's no explanation for his behavior; no explanation for him lashing out at us; absolutely no explanation for being an emotionless and nonsensitive human being.

I finish my food and leave the plate at the table before heading to the living room with disgust to calm down a bit, but find Trissy already seated there, and I grunt in rage. I wanted some peace and quiet for myself, but here's one downside of living in a house with seven other people – the spaces I want are seldom vacant. Unknowingly, I'm projecting my rage and anguish for Kunboss onto Trissy, and he frowns.

He beckons me over to sit down with him, and I follow sullenly, plopping down next to him.

"There is something wrong. Talk about it. Please. Maybe I can help," he says, and I shake my head. That feeling is back.

Rylie. Rylie. Rylie.

Just as I was about to put Rylie behind me, Trissy appears and ruins everything. Why must he remind me of my dead best friend so much? The selflessness, concerned about me, asking me if I want to talk about it. Everything screams Rylie... and makes me remember his death (that I don't even want to talk about) – even more.

I bury my head into the fuzzy blanket sitting on the couch, and peek out from it, only to see Trissy looking genuinely concerned.

"I'm fine. Really," I say, but he doesn't look convinced. Instead, he crosses his arms over each other and looks at me meaningfully and sternly.

"You're not fine."

I sigh and hurl the blanket away, abandoning the barriers that I spent so much time building. "I'm not. It's just so many things at once."

"Talking about it will make it better, Cady," he says, and I smile gratefully, trying to ignore the constant reminders of Rylie blaring in my brain. Maybe it's nice to have a friend – someone who genuinely cares – unlike Kunboss – for once.

"I just don't want to burden anyone with my troubles. It's always been like this since... you know. It feels like I'm just a stupid kid sometimes – you all have personal lives, maybe someone you're dating; college; and I'm just here adding to your emotional burdens."