44 | gwyneth - poison fumes

track #07 in gwyneth thalia anderson

enhypen // just a little bit

TRISTAN AND I walk along the path to the main city of the Adelaide Woods after concealing our identity with thick scarves over our faces and heavy padded clothing. In this weather, no one will notice. Our shoes form clean footprints on the fresh snow – the crunching sound of our footsteps are like music to my ears.

Once we reach Jason's house, we already see two pairs of shoes at the doormat – one men's, and one women's. It's funny, because Jason's parents are past retirement and stay at the house all day long, and he doesn't have any siblings. The aforementioned winter boots also are eerily practically the same size as Trissy's and mine.

We exchange a nervous look; I stay where I am while Tristan walks forward and presses on the doorbell – slightly after, Jason comes to the door, swings it fully open, and frowns at the sight of him. He almost slams the door into Tris' face, but I show myself, and Jason sighs, keeping the door open.

"What do you two want? Seems like you've moved on pretty well from Ava's death," Jason chuckles. "Got yourself a girlfriend, I see."

I fight to answer back – "We're not-", but Tristan once again gets there first.

"None of your business, Jason. Seems like you're the one who's got a new girlfriend here," he replies sarcastically, kicking the slightly smaller pair of boots with his own. "Ashley, right?"

I begin to feel like I don't belong here and shouldn't have come, because not only is this none of my business, I don't even know who Ashley is – or if she is even here.

Well, it seems like I'm wrong, because one second later, a girl from inside the house yells, "WHO CALLED MY NAME?" and emerges into the foyer.

At the sight of Tristan's feet on her shoes, she screeches and immediately rushes to pry them off – Tris merely smiles. "Nice to meet you, Ashley. Also known as, Jason's rebound."

"Hey-" the girl shrieks, but Jason pats her back, kissing her forehead lightly – which paints a frown on both our faces.

"I'll take care of this."

I guess if I said I didn't expect this, it wouldn't be an exaggeration. As Ashley goes back into the house, cradling her boots, Jason immediately lunges at my friend and they throw punches between each other, each strike threatening to rip the other's throat out.

"STOP!" I yell at the top of my lungs – Tristan stops, but Jason doesn't, and I have to practically kick him in the stomach for him to turn to me boredly. "You tricked us. Why'd you do that?"

"Ava thought she was gonna be enough. No, she wasn't," he drawls. "It's also none of both of you two's business, so please kindly get the hell out of my house."