04 | kunboss - changed atmosphere

track #01 in kunboss ryder bailey

itzy // voltage

I WAKE in the morning to Zoey's room empty and the girls on my level talking together in Cadence's room at the end of the corridor. Voices come through the gap in the door, but I decide not to eavesdrop.

Yawning loudly and stretching my arms, I decide to wander the house all over again, trying to recreate that feeling I got more than four years ago as I was exploring this house for the first time after we received it from Natalia, but I can't seem to get it back. Everything has changed so much – even if it's the same house, same people.

The days have passed so quickly as our youth has too, and as time flies (quite literally), I'm turning nineteen next year. As all of us except Cadence are in college, studying different degrees, and have an increasing amount of schoolwork to do, the house has lost its original liveliness and fun compared to its previous days when we all helped each other. Now that everyone's learning different things and very busy, the feeling's just... different. We no longer can rely on each other to help with homework or any questions we have.

Gwyneth has psych and law; Eunice performance arts; Zoey practical art and design; Aiden finance; Tristan has computer science; and I, veterinary studies. We're learning different things, which means we can't help each other or ask if we don't understand anything. Depending on each other for help is no longer what we can do, especially when we don't know a thing about what the others are studying.

Something mostly Gwyneth and Tristan do, though, is help Cadence with her homework. The rest of us don't really bother, some because our grades weren't good to begin with, the rest just don't want to. Tristan helps her with science-related subjects; Gwyneth helps with languages and humanities, sometimes giving input on science papers too. Zoey sometimes helps with arts, but since Cadence also loves drawing and doodling, she can usually handle art and designing herself.

As for Aiden, Eunice, and I – well, we just have to depend on ourselves with what we're studying. Somehow, Gwyneth and Tristan manage to help each other out too – just because of the required logic that connects both of their degrees – Gwyneth on theses; and Tristan on the structure on arguments. We sometimes joke that they are the perfect pair, good at everything, and even manage to find common ground on two completely unrelated degrees.

Jokes aside, I first came here hoping to spend every day with my best friends, happy that the Hunger Games had ended for good, but moving out of my family's house and into this one brought unnecessary fights between my friends and I – and also led my parents and I to slowly grow apart. We started talking less, and my everyday routine slowly changed to fit my new lifestyle.

But one thing that has never changed is what I felt – feel – for Zoey. Even when we were children, I knew how I felt for her. The butterflies cascaded through my veins every time I saw her. That was one thing. The other – was that till now I'm still not sure if she feels the same. But I'm going to change that. I'm going to confess before Christmas. I'm going to pour my heart out to Zoey, to tell her that I've been liking her for a decade. Like voltage burning deep in my veins, I know it for sure.