26 | zoey - written in fate

track #04 in zoey skye sinclair

twice // rewind

THEY SAY people change, but things hardly do. (I beg to differ).

I think it's the opposite, but not quite. Things almost always change, but people barely do. If we look closely at each and every one of our friends, I could tell you who they were just by what they wore as a child; what books they liked reading; how they wore their hair. I could find the traces of the five-year-old them, in present-time them. It was more than possible for someone to stay almost exactly the same over long years; but it was also possible that someone would change so much.

Kunboss' case was the latter. He had changed, truly, a lot, over the years. But in his eyes, I could see the slightest hint of who he used to be. His favourite worn-down blue shirt; the famous collection of denim shorts, all of them (that looked exactly the same – no offense); the tousled, messy hair; the books that were far below Gwyneth and I's level... all of that made up who he was, and who I ended up falling for.

While he still kept his habits of surprisingly not brushing his hair after he woke up, wearing different shades of blue and green, and the now infamous identical jeans – the person inside that shell was different.

He was no longer softspoken and kind, heartwarming and bubbly, someone that I could confide in. He was no longer the boy whom I first fell for – yet did this make me fall in love with him even more?

His words were cold and sour, piercing and painful. He had lost his compassion and heart of gold; yet he had gained that charm that I love.

Was it just because we grew up, or are growing up?

For a moment, I found myself stuck in the old record player; curled up, still reading that one book from yesterday that I loved like it was my treasure.

***

How he was the one who would come to me first if there was anything. How he would help me before others who asked for help. I noticed everything; him turning to me for help in his and Gwyneth's kind of pointless arguments.

I thought, if he understood to prioritize people he actually loved (no matter platonically or romantically), he would be able to understand Gwyneth's intentions.

Instead, he cursed my best friend for ruining his life; and accused even me of standing on her side. I mean, even I understood. His accusations meant nothing to us – definitely Byrok was going to come here in the first place. They wanted to provoke us – that's why they targeted us.