one

POSSIBLE TRIGGER: pill use in the 6th chapter lines 4-6 (for me. lines may not be accurate for everyone.)

Fire ran through her veins. It showed in how her gaze met others: calculating, callous, almost predatory. No one could deny her last name, even if her desperation to distance herself from it was what caused the fields of her soul to catch ablaze. Sage Uley was Joshua's daughter, even if she hadn't lived with him since she was 5. There were only 3 people who approached her, who never got hit with fear that she'd strike at any moment, and for that she refused to let them go.

No one dared to look past the last name and the hard stares, they didn't stick around to see the fields of lavender return to her and if they did shed always found a way to send them running. the urge to push everyone way was overwhelming and would encasing her entire being until she was alone struggling for air in dark rooms. Sage knew one thing, and it was that she didn't belong, and that no one could get close or they'd see it and run as fast as they could.

It was why she decided to sit alone at lunch, avoiding eye contact with her friends, but watching out the corner of her eye as they looked at each other confused. She had a book deep diving into the world of criminology opened next to her tray of food, with a simple pen not allowing it to close all the way. She felt Paul Lahote's eyes graced her face as if begging her to open into who he once knew. His gaze was one she'd always know just by feel.

Seth Clearwater stopped next to her, pausing as if he was going to sit, before slightly shaking his head and walking towards his own friends. That was enough to cause her to gather her book and dump her tray, rushing off for fresh air. She leaned against a tree, wishing there wasn't a teacher watching her, holding her eyes shut as she slowly counted to 60. Her therapist had told her to count down yet she found that made things worse, so she counted up.

58. inhale.
59. hold.
60. exhale.

she stumbled back to her locker, struggling to open it as she looked around ensuring no one was watching as she opened a small yellow bottle. Tossing the small pill into her mouth she quickly closed the bottle tossing it back where it was before slamming her locker shut. She knew Charlie was aware she was blowing through her prescriptions too quickly, she knew he would bring it up sooner or later yet she couldn't find it in her to stop taking more than the doctors said.

The squeaking of sneakers causing her body to stiffen as she slowly turned to face the 6 eyes watching her carefully. "Yo... are you okay?"

Embry was always the first to speak when they found her like this, He had always known her better than she knew herself. She smiled lightly as his head tilted, as if he was a confused puppy, but was quick to push it away. "Im fine."

"How come you didn't sit with us?" Quil was always the second one to speak, which made sense considering he was the second one to become friends with the girl. She shrugged lightly turning away from them to reopen her locked and grab supplies for her next class.

"Wanted to be alone, I guess." She felt Jacobs eyes burning through her skull, reading her, knowing just how badly she wanted to pull a disappearing act.

"Hey, I know you dont wanna go home right after school. why dont you come to my house?" Finally Jacob spoke, but his words sounded as though he was scared, scared to say the wrong thing, scared she was going to run and never look back.

Sage brushed off the home comment, knowing Charlie Swan's home would never be hers. She didn't even think about the fact that she'd be facing the girl who's dad she had basically stolen at 13. "Yea, ill stop by yours J, Charlie will probably be at the airport by then anyway, or helping Bella get situated since shes supposed to be coming today."