44: Ladder 🪜

"Taehyung, I don't want to play anymore." I sighed and rolled the dice over.

5

"Just play, Mirae." He said and I looked up at Jenny who was sitting on the chair watching us.

"Gen-II, please. Spare us. Please." She chuckled and ignored me completely.

The cart approached me and I chose 5 cards.

Q ♥️ Q♦️ A♣️ 10♥️ A♠️

“Yang Mirae move 22 spaces forward and Kim Taehyung move one space forward.”

I moved forward and gasped to see the end of the ladder. The other end opens up to Taehyung's block.

I shivered and slowly walked towards the block and saw Taehyung smiling at me warmly.

“We will ask you a general knowledge question. The one who answers correctly wins and gets to kill the opponent. If you accept incorrectly, your opponent gets to kill you. Since Taehyung reached the spot first, we will ask him the question.”

I looked up at him, the knife almost dropping from my grip. He just stared at me until the mechanical voice spoke.

“The muscle of the heart is:
• Voluntary
• Involuntary”

My eyes widened as I heard the question.

"Our heart is made up of involuntary muscles. Hence, its actions cannot be controlled by us."

I looked up at Taehyung who was still smiling at me. "This question has memories, partner."

I cried.

I wished to be with him. I wished to live.

But why are we here killing each other to save ourselves?

"Option 1."

I opened my eyes big, gaping at him. He smiled. "No! Option 1 was voluntary. It's not correct."

He chuckled and nodded. "I know."

I glared at him and pushed his chest hard. "What are you trying to do?"

He looked at me as I held his collars. "I lost, partner."

I fisted his shirt and boiled in rage, staring at him. "Do you think I'll be thankful?"

He shook his head. "I'm thankful." He said and I frowned as he spoke, "Thankful that you choose to be my partner."

"Why are you doing this, Taehyung?"

"After witnessing all of you guy's selfless acts especially yours, partner. Seeing those people and everything they did, I became interested in that prospect and wanted to try being “uncharacteristic” instead of wasting my days away."

"You didn't have to, Taehyung. You shouldn't." I mumbled on his chest.

He turned from me, gripping my face in his hands. "Just breathe," he told me. "Trust me. You're getting out of here."

I met his eyes, starting to break down as my chin trembled.

"Please, don't..." I begged. "Please don't leave me." I clenched my jaw, shame washing me all over again at what

I let Taehyung do this to him.

He held the back of my neck and planted my forehead to his. "I never did," he promised.

He turned to me, took my hand and pulled it towards his chest, pointing the knife.

"You don't let go," he ordered.

I shook, so scared, and my eyes watering. I whined with the weight of the water filling it as we sank into the depths of the misery of the situation we are in, and he held me up, so I could breathe as long as possible.

"Tell me you love me," he whispered. "Say it."

He looked down at me, fucking done with this rotten luck.

We weren't dying.

I wasn't telling him that shit like I wouldn't have a chance to tell him later.

We could fucking wait. But. . .

"I love you, Taehyung. I love you a lot."

He smiled and pushed the knife into his flesh, tears streamed down my face.

"I love you too, partner." He said, his hands were loose on my hand. As he slowly shut his eyes.

Tears on his face for the first time but the slight smile is still there on his face.

"You win this game. But I'll make sure to win the next one. Don't refuse to Play with me, partner."

As he slid down with me. Both of us collapsed.

But the difference was that his heart was not beating and my heart was beating because he decided to stop his.

I felt his body being dragged away from my embrace as I heard applause in the room.

“Congratulations, Yang Mirae. You have successfully survived all the rounds.”

I was too busy crying when I heard her speak again.

“Now as a reward, you will meet the administrator of this gaming system.”