Chapter 23

[Erdstrum Hospital, 10:00]

A chopper landed in the distance, before even landing, a familiar hybrid jumped out before the vehicle even was safe for landing, excited as he seemed, the long-time of separation had finally closed off the distance between them. The jackal hybrid ran to the entrance of the hospital seemingly memorized the route and each hallway, his friends behind him snickered as they giggled at the new side of their friend. He really can't contain it huh.

"Oh, he's taking in his day off, last thing I heard was him going to the roof." Nurse Maya immediately caught Nasus' attention who seemed to be running in directions to and fro, as he made haste, he rushed to the stairs not bothering to use the slow roots of the elevator, his ability to outrun vehicles and missions in his time helped make things easier for daily things. His tail kept wagging, holding on to a red scarf so as to not let it fall from his speedy steps. Turning each turn quickly without stopping, his efforts finally led him to reach the rooftop, taking in a big sigh, he opened the metal door.

In his view was a familiar hybrid leaning facing towards the sun, daydreaming as it seems, the scorching heat of the mid-day hit his body laid on the patch of green grass surrounded by the aesthetic of a botanical garden. While his hands covered his eyes, you can tell he was enjoying the sunbathing experience as he could fall asleep at any point, maybe even now or before. He didn't seem to notice the man at the door entrance due to his earphones on, something of modern technology. His golden figure reflected the sun, or maybe it is shining even brighter... like the desert of Shurima before it was made into ruins. He sneakily made his way to Azir careful so as to not cause a disturbance, tip-toeing along the way. As he reached his summit, he held the hands of Azir squeezing them in contact, even though his eyes were covered with their own, with the size of his hands and the familiar warmth, he knew he returned.

"Welcome back, Nasus." The green handkerchief on Azir's neck swayed frantically along the wind,

"Glad to be back, Azir." They both shared the same pelt of grass only with no further distance as Nasus laid down with him, that is until the arrival of Katherine and the other captains.

"They're at it again," Ryder wailed,

"Let them be, they never got to properly do things right." Hera said, holding her chest at the scene of a book. Nasus smeared his face unto Azir, nuzzling as he made comfortable noises, Azir only made a silent purr in disguise. With no distance closer, one ear was connected to another as they listened to the same tunes. The sky seemed to be in their favour as it harbored no tears on their day off almost as if on purpose.

"Have you ever heard of Shurima, Azir? It is my home, far and in another distant plane it existed. The heat of this sun always reminded me of home although not compared, Shurima's sun was just the right heat for its people. Under the command of the sun is an emperor who disappeared along with the others, after regaining a bit of my senses, a god servant told me the emperor erased my memory and left the plane for good. I knew I pledged my loyalty to my emperor, and that's where I land now. Azir... please be honest, why did you do it? The emperor of Shurima, the Ascended within the Sands." Azir felt the world around him stop and so did his body, after knowing Nasus, the seal that locked his memories broke, and the memories of the dark distant past came back to life like an open wound. Azir shifted into a sitting position as disturbed that the memories of his guard came back. He knew it was sealed, but somehow, it was broken. Azir lowered his head in guilt, fear... and shame.

"What happened, Azir? Didn't you love Shurima more than anything?" This time, Azir stood up, his hands were a little shaky as his gaze didn't focus on anyone anymore.

"I'm sorry, Nasus." Azir breathed, trying to stop fear and trauma from overflowing, but when Nasus tried to comfort his life, Azir held out his hand keeping the distance, Katherine and the others seemed to notice as they were in the opposite garden masked by the ability of Ryder as to not disturb them. They hid behind a flower box carefully so as to not make a sound, hardly enough, Tane is a big Taurus, dropping on the floor barely hiding his horns, although they blended with the plants. The sudden gesture of Azir piqued their curiosity as they looked at each other in question.