Chapter 36

"Hello?" A head popped out of the curtains.

"Archie? What're ya doin 'ere?" Tane sat up lazily as the whole team seemed to be dazed. Owl Father and Nasus were absent in their presence as Azir appraised the ninja's body.

"I was finding you but you weren't in your tent drinking. Is everyone okay? Are you okay?" Archie asked worried, somehow Tane felt relief as someone was finding him.

"Yeah, everyone's fine, just using the waiting time fer extra sleep."

"Ah! I shouldn't bother you then-" Archie retreated his floating head making Tane call out louder than he anticipated.

"Archie, wait!" He reached out his hand.

"Hm? Archie popped his head back in, now from a closer view, the line at the end of his lips still amuses him.

"How bout we get some mornin' coffee?"

"Sure"

Cold air brushed past against Tane's fur and Archie's skin, hot coffee for the Taurus and cocoa for the Tarantula, enjoying both the fresh morning air in a secluded area of the camp introduced by Tane to where he mostly drinks and enjoys morning whiskey.

"I- heard about the lady... and the upcoming war..." Archie broke the comfortable cold silence.

"Ya can leave if ya want, enjoy the things out there while ya can. Scrub off yer bucket list while ya still can. Even if we will win, this site will most likely ta be part of the warzone." Tane took a sip but immediately retreated his tongue out due to the heat.

"I can," he responded.

"But I can't." Archie laughed earning Tane's concerned attention. "What do ya mean? Go start a family, have a fresh start. Archie yar more capable ta do things in life than be in a suicide camp."

"But death is not so scary, Tane. I died by the time my clan was killed and yet, death gives second chances." Archie's gaze then struck to the far horizon, closing his eyes as Zephyr's winds blew majestically.

"Archie... are ya suicidal?" Tane asked,

"I... guess so? Leaning towards yes and no."

"Then what's stopping you?" Although the question seems offensive, Tane meant no harm, and Archie understood that.

Archie tilted his head, smiling as his eyes curled into a thin line, "For someone to prove me wrong." Zephyr's winds blew stronger once more as Tane, stood by him.

The owl father stood at the endpoint of the mountain where the winds soar cold spikes against his feathers. Nasus meters away behind him paused.

"What does he mean to you?" Owl Father asked, his back still turned against him. The warm light of the sun slowly crept beyond their head level. Under the hands of the Owl father, a revolver clicked as he reloaded six bullets in and quickly turned the cylinder and bucked it back inside. Nasus' ears twitched as he seemed a little fazed by what might happen.

"He's my emperor, my sole purpose of existing. A guard-" Before Nasus can speak any further, the metallic revolver was bashed at the side of his head, Nasus landed on the floor with utter shock, eyes widened.

"That's not what I asked for, what does he mean to you?" Owl Father marched forward in slow motion as Nasus struggled for an answer, also realizing that the cliff behind him was slowly nearing. "Shoot." He crouched at his level, reaching out the golden revolver as he stared at him ominously. From that moment, Nasus knew.

"He means-" Nasus picked a flower from the floor and then himself, slowly, he placed the flower at the tip of the muzzle and slowly raised it to his temple. In a slow steady breath, he exhaled. "My life, my soul. The moon will sing for us in our ritual and so will the audience, and you will be one of the audience. We have not touched the stars, nor are we forgiven... but who is there to earn forgiveness other than ourselves." Nasus closed his eyes, and in one curl of his finger to the trigger, a loud click resonated through the silent cold winds.

The spear of the sun finally engulfed everything in its flames.

"Cryptic, but nonetheless, you shall fulfill your promise." The Owl Father retrieved the revolver from Nasus' still body, the petals red on the floor. "Be strong, loyal guard. Strong till the day you fulfill your promise as I shall witness that rite of ascension. Where I will lose my son as you claim him." Nasus' knees dropped on the floor and heaved a sigh of relief from his mouth. Following beside him, Owl Father sat as they both stared at the morning glory. A rather shiny gleam caught the Owl Father's attention.

"May I ask, what is inside your locket?" A locket the size of a compass hangs inside the Father's wings. Quickly inspecting his gaze, he seemed to gleam in surprise, taking it out on the view, opening it slowly.

"A memory." The Owl Father flashed his locket towards Nasus, one side is a picture of him and Azir, and the other one, a family.

"Cecily, she was the best woman and my son, Icarus." He closed the locket as he grips harder, now staring at the sun's infection. "She was feisty, that Cecily, before I was even a wise entrepreneur I always hung around bars, carelessly throwing currency on alcoholic toxins, that is when she walked in, challenged me to drink and I of course won, but the thrill she brought me was immaculate. I swore to that woman. Years passed of courtship did she finally accept and we brought life, Icarus." His chest expanded followed by a deep breath.

"I... killed both of them..." Nasus felt a deep emotion swell up inside him but its name was unknown, was it anger? Fear? Pity or despise? "In the middle of the night, too drunk to even open my headlights as I was boastful of the challenge, my thrill of challenges always got the best of me. Cecily was worried beside me as she held my hand shaking, Icarus at the back sleeping peacefully like the angel that he is but... an accident occurred, the car drove off on a high cliff and was followed by deep ocean waters. The car sank and my Cecily and Icarus and I were all drowned under the darkness. That night I could've used my magic, spread my wings, and made us an escape but for some reason, I didn't." The Owl Father tilted his head towards Nasus.

"You must think I do not earn the title of a father, ironic as I am the Owl Father... But you must think of me like that, otherwise, what's the purpose of surviving if not to torture myself with guilt and memories of the past?" The Owl Father felt his heart throb with needles, puncturing holes leaving his heart bleeding. Inside, Nasus can hear that each thump of his heart was a plea for help. "That was when I met Azir, he told me of his origin and wailed under my wings. He was too like me, he told me he was living, punishing himself till the day he crumbles and until then, the stars will not forgive him. I took him as my own son, vowing to be a better father... and he saw me as one. Now you see why Azir is important to me."

The silence strengthened between them, replaced by the slice of wind in their direction. Once again, the golden spear strengthens its power, engulfing everything in orange flames. The day has begun.