Chapter 18: School

Callie's POV

Yet another month has passed and I was told I was able to go back to school on Monday. Today was Friday and all I wanted was for Monday to come. Things were going better at home and I was finally able to start forgiving Mariana. I don't think I will ever be able to trust her again but I still love her. Everyone came back from school and I was lying on the couch talking with Lena. Everyone came in and sat around us waiting for dinner to start being prepped. Each of them filled me in on their day and I was forced to listen even though I did not care that much. Everyday they came back telling me what happened at school and I was overwhelmed. Too many people were talking at once and I just wanted silence. The littlest of things made me angry and I was worried about how I was supposed to go back to school. I know I will only be attending two morning classes but the hallways are loud, classes are loud, everywhere on that school is loud. Sometimes I hate who I have become and wish it would all end. I could never do that to Jude but I was tired. I didn't see the point in trying when there was no point. Was this as good as I was ever going to get?

Lena's POV

The weekend had come to an end and today was Monday, the first day back to school for Callie. I walked into her room at 6:30 AM to wake her up and she seemed off. She wasn't her normal self but then again, she hasn't been the same since her injury. She walked down the stairs carefully and sat at the table to eat breakfast. Her walking has greatly improved but she still did have some balance issues. We piled into the car and drove to school. Callie did not say a single word but I knew I could keep an eye on her for the two hours she was going to be here. It was my first day back at work and I was going to be her in class aid. I helped her find her classroom as she was still struggling with her memory and she sat in the front of the class to focus. The teacher handed out a paper with 10 math problems on it and she just stared at the paper shaking her leg. I placed my hand on her leg and I felt her relax but she didn't start working on the problems yet. After some redirection from both myself and her teacher she began the first problem. After the 20 minute time limit was up she had only gotten through 3 problems and I could sense her frustration. "Cal it's okay, it's your first day back" I said gently. She nodded and quickly stood up to walk to her next class. She stumbled a bit and I could tell she was embarrassed but she followed me to her next class without saying a word. She sat in Timothy's class and she was able to focus better in this room because it was a much smaller class. She did not participate but she was paying attention. I could tell she was getting tired and after class was over we walked back to the car to go home. She rested her head against the window and I could tell she was exhausted. She ended up falling asleep on the short ride home and when we pulled into the driveway I shook her awake and took her bag for her. She walked into the house and immediately went to the couch laying down. Was this how it was going to be forever? Was she ever going to be able to get through a full day of school? She fell asleep on the couch and I placed a blanket over her and a pillow underneath her head. I looked at her and felt a tear roll down my face. I missed the girl we brought into this house. I know she is still the same person but at the same time she isn't. Her personality has changed, she is no longer completely independent, she is going to have  seizures for the rest of her life, the list goes on and on. I gave her a kiss on the forehead and walked into the kitchen. I just needed a moment to myself. I was sitting on the bar stool when I heard a bang and immediately ran into the living room. Callie was on the floor having a seizure. When was this going to stop? I held onto her and let her know I was there. I don't know much more of this I can take. It has become too much.