08

"What are you thinking?!" Dad scolded lo'ak and neteyam as we got to our hut. Me and kiri stand at the side looking at them.

Dad looks so mad. "Dad it's my fault--" neteyam was cut off by dad.

"Stop covering up your brothers trouble!" He shouted.

Neteyam backed away and touched his busted lips. The guy must have him hit hard with all those bruise on his face. Well they had it worse so a win win.

"But dad they're calling kiri a freak" lo'ak said trying to defend himself.

I felt bad for him. He's just trying to protect our sister and yet he's the one who's in trouble right now. It boils my blood that I could punch ao'nung and his friends, assholes.

Dad's face soften, he sighed heavily. "Go say sorry, I don't care how you do it just go make peace" he said and motioned lo'ak to leave.

Lo'ak took a glance at us and left the hut with neteyam following him. Dad sighed and looked at me and kiri.

"Come here girls" he said and we walked towards him, he hugged us and so did we.

Dad must have felt bad that we're experiencing this things when all we want to do is to enjoy and have a peaceful life. We can't do anything but to not fight back, this is their island and not ours. We're just a strangers for them invading their land.

We stayed in the hut until the sun sets. It's quite dark outside already, everyone's home but lo'aks nowhere to be seen. Dad and kiri's talking outside, mom preparing our dinner, tuk playing with her wooden toys, and neteyam talking to someone outside.

I am silently doing my business when I heard neteyams stern voice.

"Tell them what you told me" I heard him said. I stood up and go outside the hut, there ao'nung held in the nape by neteyam.

He looked at my direction and immediately look down. "I brought lo'ak outside the reef and left him there..." he said.

I widened my eyes to what he said. Is he crazy?! What if lo'aks in danger? What if something bad happened to him? I can feel my anger buildingup inside me, I want to punch ao'nung right now but it is not the time.

Dad stood up in panic and ran to the chief's hut to ask for help. Everyone went searching for lo'ak and I'm left with neteyam and ao'nung looking down not so far from us.

I can feel my heartbeat beating uncontrollably inside my chest. I'm nervous, what if lo'aks in danger? I can't forgive anyone if something bad happens to him.

I glared at ao'nung as we met each others gaze. I walked towards him and pushed him by the shoulder.

He looked at me with guilt in his eyes. "What were you thinking?!" I shout at him.

He looked down. "It was just a joke..." he whispered. That shit hit the spot.

I slapped him across his face. He didn't fight back. I can feel my eyes watering in so much fear and nervousness, everything's building up inside me that it makes me want to puke.

My chest going up and down as I feel my hot tears fallin onto my cheeks. "I-I fucking hate you! What if something bad happened to him?! You're like a kid not thinking about the consequences of your actions! You're so stupid! Eywa knows how much I'm holding myself back right now" I shouted at him as I hit his chest.

I felt someone held me on my shoulder and pulled me back. "Shh shh calm down raya... shh nothing will happen to lo'ak hmm? Calm down, let's go" neteyam whispered in my ears calming me down.

I can't breathe. Everything's so overwhelming. Anger, fear, nervousness eat me up and that made me burst into tears. I don't really cry, but this is too overwhelming for me.

I glanced at ao'nung and he's lookinh at me with pure guilt, and sadness in his eyes. I looked away and wiped my tears as me and neteyam walked towards our hut. He hugged me trying to comfort and calm me down.

He can't blame me for how I'm acting right now, lo'ak's my twin and I can't loose him.

We stayed in that position until I heard the horn blew. We ran outside and I saw dad with lo'ak. He saw ao'nung and was about to go at him but dad held his shoulder.

"He's fine" dad assured everyone.

"My son knows more than to take him outside the reef" Tonowari said as he pushed ao'nung down. "The blame is his"

Dad didn't said anything and mom came behind us checking him. "Oh give me enough strength to not pluck the eyeballs out of my youngest son" she hissed at him.

"No sir, this is my fault--" lo'ak didn't finished his sentence as dad pushed him.

I glared at ao'nung as we met gaze again before I stood up and followed them. They stopped in front of our hut and dad's scolding him.

"You've bring enough shame to this family" he said at lo'ak.

I almost gasped at this, how can he say that to his son? Lo'aks probably covering up for ao'nung. I felt bad for my brother, he receives this kinds of words even though he don't deserve it.

"Can I go now sir?" I heard lo'ak whispered while looking down.

Dad signed him to go and he did. I was about to follow him when dad called my name.

"Don't follow him Raya, let him be" he said sternly so I stand in my ground.

He then looked at neteyam. "What happened to the keeping an eye on your  brother?" Neteyam looked down.

"I'm sorry sir"

This day is so exhausting. Could it get any worse?