37. Things Get Better

(Assassins Creed and Final Fantasy Seven are not mine. The picture above is a screenshot from the game.
"talking"
'thinking'
Enjoy!)

Zack kissed Cloud's forehead, "Cloud, good morning."

Cloud nuzzled him, "Morning ~"

Zack laughed, "Ma has made breakfast."

It had been a few very hectic months with Palmer getting the literal boot from the company. It was quiet the crazy few weeks after the news hit the media, especially when Palmer's extortion came to light. It even brought to light the mess Heidegger had left behind when he had been kicked out. It had raised questions about the Shinra board and Rufus had used the opening to take over as the President of Shinra. Rufus had even convinced his father to take early retirement and enjoy the fruits of his labour. He pointed at his increasing bald line and bluntly told him, he was not getting younger. Rupert Shinra spluttered at his second child's audacity but seeing others agree made him finally retire. Rain and Caleb mumbled in their sleep before burying themselves into their parents sides.

Zack, "You know, I have noticed Caleb seems to stick to you a lot."

Cloud, "Mn, and Rain clings to you."

Zack grinned, "I think, I overheard ma tell me I used to do the same before I started to act like I could do everything on my own."

Cloud mused, "Is that so? I wonder how long these two will take. They might not even want to but who knows."

Zack, "The bathroom is empty by the way. If you want to wash up, now's the chance."

Cloud nodded and left Zack with the two toddlers who clung to him, making him melt at the adorable sight. They had started to talk around a month ago and both of them had been very excited. They had both been going to therapy and hoped they could raise their children as normal and happy as possible. Desmond, Vincent, Ace, their whole family, friends and even the SOLDIERs they were not close to were worried about the two of them. The Turks would never openly show they were worried about another person but left them gifts instead. Caleb always made a weird face whenever he saw Sephiroth, Angeal and Genesis with toddlers Kadaj, Loz and Yazoo now that Zack thought about it.

Cloud walked in, drying his face, "They are waking up."

Zack, "Yeah~ They are so cute."

Caleb, 'Curse this weak body. I never required so much sleep before.'

Rain, "Da... Ma.. "

Cloud, "We are right here, tesoro."

Zack, "You know, I have been curious. What does that mean? I mean, I heard Desmond call you that before but never asked."

Cloud, "It means baby bird. They kinda are too. Ace checked them, they have the eyes too."

Rain looked at him curiously, 'Eyes?'

Zack was excited, "You mean the Eagle eyes?"

Cloud nodded, "Yes."

Zack sobered, "So, they are Cetra too."

Cloud, "I know what you are thinking. No one outside our family and trusted friends will find out."

Caleb, 'Fascinating.'

Rain, 'Ironic.'

Cloud, "We'll keep them safe."

Zack, "Always."

Rain and Caleb were just starting to talk in full sentences without stumbling on their words but still babbled sometimes. Rufus and Lazard would be visiting them later on, to personally talk to them about a few things. Lazard had given Zack time off but with so many other SOLDIERs, both KIA and MIA ones returning, they needed help. Rufus was there to play hooky and avoid dealing with the paperwork that never seemed to end. No wonder his old man went crazy in the end, he was starting to feel a bit psychotic looking at the papers that looked like it was mocking him.