Prologue

He knew from the moment that Evan Buckley walked up to him in that bar, that Buck was different.

It wasn't the way he walked or the confidence he'd exuded, but the way he looked at him. The way he laughed when Eddie cracked a bad joke. And the way that first time they'd kissed, it was as though Buck had never been kissed before.

He was handsome, muscular, and lean and had grey eyes that could appear blue or green depending on the lighting. His birthmark above his left eye wasn't a blemish; it added to attractiveness, made him more interesting.

And that first night, lying in bed, Eddie was glad to have met Buck. That he'd approached him on a whim. Of course, he'd felt terrible for running out on Buck, but that was the struggle of being a single parent. Your kids came first.

Their relationship was by no means healthy, but Eddie was certain that they loved each other. Buck wouldn't have even entertained the idea of being with him if he hadn't loved him.

And even through everything with Shannon, everything that he'd put him through, Buck had said those magical words of yes, he wanted to try their relationship.

It was the light in the darkness - he was the light in the darkness - that had kept him from making bigger mistakes and from spiraling out of control.

He knew that without Buck, he would have given up on himself a long time ago.

And even now, lying in bed, waiting for Buck's plane to land, he couldn't help but feel thankful for the wonderful man that was on his way back home.

And then his alarm went off, and without having slept a wink, Eddie got dressed and headed out of his mother's house to pick up his heart.